Downtown Dispatch: Venturing Outside of Downtown

Now, we all know that downtown Phoenix is the place to be, but sometimes it’s fun to venture out into central Phoenix to see what all they have to offer. In fact, one of my favorite restaurants is in CenPho (as the locals fondly call it), and serves some of the best sandwiches and green chili mac and cheese around.

La Grande Orange Grocery (or LGO) is nestled around a quaint neighborhood in CenPho (Arcadia if you want to get specific) and has so much to offer. This public house-style restaurant houses a coffee shop, sandwich/salad/soup walk-up counter, a chic grocery store (think childhood candies, wine, and fun odds and ends), as well as a bakery and a sit-down restaurant. To me, LGO is one of those places that if you don’t know what you feel like eating, you are bound to find something there.

Among my favorite dishes at LGO is their green chili mac and cheese (crispy on the top, and gooey on the inside), and also their seasonal soups. Last fall, I had some butternut soup from there and it was to die for! LGO is also the second home of Tammie Coe Cakes, and they always have some of their delicious cookies, cupcakes, and cakes in stock (right in the display case by the walk-up ordering station, taunting you with their delicious tastes, encouraging you to buy them).

Even though LGO is fairly large in size, their seating can be kind of limited and fills up quick (especially around lunch time). They do have an outdoor patio, seating in the grocery area + restaurant that anyone is welcome to sit at, and tables around the front side of the store. Parking is a bit crazy as well, but if you go around lunch time you get complimentary valet parking.

So if you’re in the mood to venture out of downtown, I suggest trying out LGO for a lunch time date.

LGO is located at 4410 North 40th St , and is open Monday through Thursday, 4 p.m. to10 p.m., and Friday through Sunday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

×