Fire on the Water

Photo by Anthony Sandoval.
Photo by Anthony Sandoval.

A low rumble, like a hungry growl, traveled across Tempe Town Lake Sunday, March 27, as the eighth annual Arizona Dragon Boat Festival took over the waters. Teams of 20 paddlers, one drummer and one steersperson manned narrow paddleboats adorned with dragonheads and tails in a modern take of ancient tradition.

The fleet of golden-headed canoes glimmered under a picturesque afternoon, as the sound of beating drums was the only thing breaking the stillness of the air. Hundreds of people gathered to root on teams and enjoy food, vendors and live music. The competition was divided into different divisions including corporate, collegiate and master levels.

Unlike conventional competitive rowing, all teams are required to have a drummer on board. Once races start, drums must be continually struck throughout the duration of the sprint. In synchronous harmony, paddlers dipped their heads, raised their arms and sliced through the tranquil water with eager ferocity. The steady drumming pulsed throughout the two-day event to the delight of spectators attending the free festival.

Club teams included names like Gila Dragons, AZ Sun Warriors, AZ Dragon & Diva Riders and Abreast in the West, a breast cancer survivor team. Although fierce competitors, teams whooped and hollered happily at the end of each race offering praise and support to each other.

Watching a version of tradition said to have originated in China some 2,500 years ago, patrons warded off the blazing Arizona sun with paper parasols as they sat and watched the spectacle or carelessly walked about the marketplace with kids and pets in tow. The event provided a unique way to enjoy the spring weather and a pleasant escape to a time of years past.

For more information or to learn how to participate in the next Dragon Boat Festival, visit the Arizona Dragon Boat Association website.

Reach the reporter at jose.sandoval@asu.edu

×