War has been trapped in negativity for centuries, but one ASU student is passionate to show the Tempe community the beauty of it.

Orchestral conducting graduate student Timothy Verville has organized a musical and artistic event called the “Art of War,” and after more than a year of strategizing, his orchestra is taking arms against ASU Gammage Wednesday night.

“We’re essentially exploring art as a product of war,” Verville said.

The full orchestra of students will be performing pieces that are reflective on the notion of war, and finding musical and artistic significance behind infamous battles.

“The music on the program itself depict battles,” he said, including Napoleon’s invasion of Russia and invasions of the Holy Roman Empire.

Trumpet performance sophomore Tyler Richardson said exploring the art of war through playing his trumpet has been an engaging experience.

“He’s a very good conductor,” Richardson said. “He’s very approachable, and the art of war is a very cool concept.”

Microbiology senior and violinist Hansa Thompson said practicing and preparing to perform the Art of War concept has been a challenge, but it has helped her improve as an artist.

“The music is very exciting,” she said. “It is very emotional music, and it’s been great to work under a wonderful conductor.”

Prior to the concert, an art show will exhibit creative works of a dozen visual artists, exploring the concept of war with mediums ranging from paintings to iron-welded sculptures.

The visual art will stem from the music performed in the concert, Verville said.

In addition to the orchestra and art show, war will be portrayed in ways beyond paintbrushes and instruments.

Martial art performers will be spread outside Gammage to express the art of war through body movement.

“It ties in nicely to the art of war because the moves are almost poetic,” Verville said.

Students and artists have been investing much time in preparation all semester, but Verville has been planning the event for more than a year.

“It’s a large amount of work,” he said. “But as an artist we do these things not for ourselves but for others.”

The art show will begin at 6:30 p.m. and the concert at 7:30 p.m. Verville is hoping to give all who attend a refreshing perspective on war.

“These artists will try to give something to the audience, and possibly cause them to think of war in a new way.”

Reach the reporter at ktenagli@asu.edu

×