Hip-hop club performing in Hollywood

HIP-HOPPING TO HOLLYWOOD: Members of the ASU Hip-Hop Coalition pose for a group photo. The group is hoping to raise enough money through various fundraisers to perform at the Choreographers Ball at Club Avalon in Hollywood, Calif. (Photo courtesy of Mary Papuyo)

Students in ASU’s Hip-Hop Coalition are dancing their way to Hollywood, Calif.

The dance team is headed to California to perform at a showcase called Carnival “Choreographer’s Ball” on May 31, and members are attempting to raise money throughout April to help them get there.

The team has been holding carwashes at the 7-Eleven convenience store on University and McClintock drives for several weeks to raise money for their upcoming showcase, said Mary Papuyo, president of the dance team.

Papuyo said the team has raised nearly $1,000 toward its goal of about $3,000 by hosting car washes, and will be holding one this Saturday at the same place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Group members want to attend the dance show because of the opportunity to get a job dancing for a celebrity or a major choreography company.

“There isn’t a competition, per se, but there is a level of competition because you want to bring your ‘A game’ because you want to get noticed, and it’s the opportunity that you are getting out of [attending the showcase],” Papuyo said.

The Carnival showcase is held on the last Wednesday of every month, but because of the high cost of travel the coalition is only able to go once a year, she said.

Carnival is a meeting of minds in the dance world that showcases talent from around the globe and has been in existence since 2008.

“We do receive some funding from ASU, but it is not nearly enough for us to be able to go to Carnival once we factor in gas and hotel costs for us,” Papuyo said.

Last year the team was able to pay for nearly 90 percent of gas costs for the team to go, but she didn’t think that was going to be possible this year.

In addition to the car washing, teaching people to dance has been a part of the group’s fundraising activities, Papuyo said.

“We have also been holding dance workshops at a dance studio where we charge a $25 fee and teach people some moves, and we are going to try and plan another one of these before the event in May,” Papuyo said.

Although she said there is no award ceremony at the end of the event, the team would have to be really prepared.

“There is a sense of competition because the best dancers from all over the world come to showcase their talent and … this is where core directors and celebrities come to pick up dancers for backup dancers or their next video,” Papuyo said.

She said there would be many famous celebrities attending the event, as well as people who had danced on tour with major names in the music and dance world.

“People who are dancing on tour with Justin Timberlake or were dancing on tour with Michael Jackson are going to be there,” Papuyo said.

Two of the team members of the coalition talked about what it meant to them to be a part of the team and to be able to dance at Carnival in May.

“HHC is a collection of some of the best dancers in the Valley, not just ASU,” said Anthony Tran, psychology senior and marketing promotions chair for HHC. “To be among such talent and see what great work ethic is from these dancers has been a real honor.”

Tran said he has become a better dancer and has learned much from being a part of HHC.

“I’m proud to have learned so much from my teammates and be in such talented company.  I’m excited to grow as a dancer and a performer,” Tran said.

He also said he thought performing at Carnival would be a different environment for him as a dancer.

“Carnival allows us to add another dimension to how we dance and lets us perform on a much different stage than to an ASU crowd,” Tran said.

Another member of the team talked about what HHC means to her.

“Being a part of this team means a lot to me,” said Lauren Napolitano, a senior political science student and secretary of HHC. “Not only is it a place where I can go and dance away my problems, but it is also a group of people that I feel very close and bonded to.”

Reach the reporter at brian.bernadel@asu.edu

×