Non-Required Reading: How Nolan might Kill the Superhero Movie

Chris Nolan, the not-so-super director. Photo courtesy of fusedfilm.com

"The Dark Knight" wasn’t as good as you think it is.

Oh (censored). No he didn’t!  Yes actually, yes he did.

If I wanted to watch a two and a half hour movie with too many villains and an unnecessarily complicated plot, I’d probably just turn off the TV.

Chris Nolan is the kind of director who relies on a lot of “look at how complex I am” kind of tactics. He uses excessive effects and explosions to take away from the fact that his plots are fairly simple.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the "Dark Knight." I own it! But seriously, they could have had an entirely separate third movie just devoted to Two-Face (the greatest Bat-villain ever) but instead he was shoehorned in for a bit and overshadowed by a dead guy (sorry, too soon?)

Using two villains in a comic movie is a classic thing to do, but it’s also a killer for most movies. "Spider-Man 3," "Batman Forever," "Batman & Robin" all used big name people for two villains in the movie and ended up being giant pieces of… you know.

I hope Nolan refocuses himself for this third movie. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (swoon!) is already attached to the film, and he’s not that big of a star, so maybe that’s a good start.

Or next thing you know, the movie will have the Riddler, Penguin, Falcone Family, Mr. Freeze, Bane, Catwoman, and a reappearance by Two-Face in the 4 hour epic that is "The Dark Knight Rises."

Sigh.

-Dan

×