Other than Ramen: The Great Debate

Who is the winner? Photo courtesy of Secondratesnacks.com.

Which do you choose: Red Vines or Twizzlers? Everyone has their favorite, but I’m wondering when and why this great debate started.

Some people claim Red Vines are artificial tasting, others say Twizzlers taste like plastic. What’s the consensus?

I took a poll of my statistics class to determine whether they preferred Twizzlers or Red Vines. Out of the 31 people polled, 20 chose Red Vines and the others chose Twizzlers, making Red Vines the winner.

Red Vines seem to be associated with the West Coast because they are made in California and Twizzlers are associated with the East because they are made in Tennessee. That could be a generalization, though. Which one did you grow up with?

Twizzlers have a distinct strawberry flavor and shiny red color, while Red Vines are known for the “Original Red Twist flavor,” which can never be totally described.

Although both are described as licorice, Red Vines do not actually include flavor extracted from the licorice root plant, and now Twizzlers comes in a variety of non-licorice flavors like watermelon, chocolate, and cherry.

When speaking about Twizzlers, the famous ‘Pull 'n' Peel’ candy cannot be forgotten. Tying these cherry or watermelon flavored strings into knots, bows or anything you can think of are a classic part of childhood.

SNL’s digitial short “Lazy Sunday” claims that the combination of Red Vines and Dr. Pibb is “crazy delicious.” I can’t disagree.

Bite off both ends of a Red Vine and gulp up an extra sweet drink. Don’t have Dr. Pibb? Vines make the greatest straws for a Sprite or lemonade beverage (and would be great with the lemonade recipe that was posted on Sunday) as well.

Leave your comments below and let me know which kind you’d grab for if you had a choice between Twizzlers and Red Vines!

×