Escobedo, Urfer dancing through season

Groove is in the Heart: Junior Annie Lockwood celebrates with the rest of the Sun Devils after a home run against San Diego State on May 22. The team’s tendency to dance after home runs has become a common fixture throughout season. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Cheering, clapping, and celebrating in the dugouts are all regular activities throughout each and every college softball game.

The ASU softball team is no different. After a huge win or long home run, the Sun Devils partake in their usual array of celebrations.

But the fun doesn’t end there. Dancing has emerged as a big part of the Sun Devil camaraderie.

“Honestly I think that dancing and having fun in the dugout is the best part of the game,” Urfer said. “When we’re having fun and we’re dancing and we’re having a good time, we play better. We play loose. When we’re up tight and not having fun, we’re not playing ASU softball.”

The Sun Devils’ trademark dance is the “Go Big Girl,” which stems from the team’s Go Big Girl group. The group is comprised of several girls on the team.

“We always have the Go Big Girl because whenever I would hit a really big bomb or something we would always be like ‘O go big girl’,” Urfer said. “Then there’s a song that is like, ‘go big girl’, and we just kind of put it together. I’ve always had the dance go big girl.”

ASU’s celebratory dancing was on display when Urfer launched a two-run homer in the second inning of Sunday’s semifinal game against Baylor.

The entire Sun Devils’ dugout met Urfer at home plate before performing the trademark Go Big Girl dance all the way back to the bench.

Urfer and freshman pitcher Dallas Escobedo are the leaders of the dancing movement. Whether it’s in the dugout or postgame on the field, the duo can often be seen busting their moves.

“We just be crazy and roll with each other,” Escobedo said. “We get pumped up over little things, and it’s exciting. The pitcher will throw a ball and we’ll just yell. We’ll get crazy and dance. We turn anything into fun.”

There’s been plenty to celebrate for ASU in 2011. From the team’s 23-game winning streak in nonconference play and a sweep of rival Arizona to claiming the Pac-10 championship and surging to the WCWS, the Sun Devils have done their fair share of dancing.

The Sun Devils agree that their biggest dance celebration came on the bus after the UA sweep, but one piece of the celebration was missing.

ASU coach Clint Myers promised his team that if it sealed the sweep he would join in the dancing fun. The team held up its end of the deal, yet Myers has yet to perform his dance.

“So when we won and swept them the third game, he had to do it but he didn’t,” Urfer said.  “So we’re still waiting for him to stick to his word and do the dance, but I guess we’ll have to wait for his Go Big Girl action.”

Myers isn’t the only one who doesn’t get involved with the “Go Big Girl” and other dance celebrations. While the majority of the team loves showing off their moves, some prefer to let their teammates do the dancing.

“I am probably the least rhythmic person on our team,” junior right fielder Annie Lockwood said. I’ll pretend for like five seconds then it’s over because I feel embarrassed by the fact that I’m probably the one girl on the team that can’t dance. “

Despite her disregard for her dance moves, Lockwood still enjoys the dancing and fun that the Sun Devils share.

“I’ll cheer and I’ll laugh long with them,” Lockwood said. “It’s fun to be a part of, but (I’m) definitely not one of the ones busting out their moves.”

For the Sun Devils, dancing is just one way in which they manage to not only have fun, but also stay relaxed during games. After all, the team has played in 63 games this season, not to mention countless hours of travel and practice.

While the on field dancing is certainly fun, Urfer is adamant that the team is still focused on the task at hand.

“Keeping it light hearted in the dugout is awesome, but at the same time staying focused, we don’t want to be silly,” Urfer said. “There’s a difference. There’s a point where there’s still focus there, but we’re having a good time at the same time.”

Good times have been plenty for ASU this season, and it continues its surge through the Women’s College World Series. Through the semifinal round, the Sun Devils have amassed a perfect 8-0 record in the postseason.

As ASU has earned its postseason success, there’s been no shortage of Go Big Girl moves and celebratory dancing.

With one more series left in the 2011 season, you can bet that Urfer and Escobedo will have their team dancing.

After all, the Sun Devils have danced all the way to Oklahoma City.

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×