Pinckney misses cut at US Open

Open experience: Scott Pinckney makes an approach shot as an ASU player earlier in the season. The ASU graduate played in the US open, missing the cut despite two solid rounds of golf.  (Photo courtesy of Joel Broida)
Open experience: Scott Pinckney makes an approach shot as an ASU player earlier in the season. The ASU graduate played in the US open, missing the cut despite two solid rounds of golf. (Photo courtesy of Joel Broida)

It wasn’t the safest of plays.

Amidst Scott Pinckney’s solid second round U.S. Open scorecard sits an unwelcome nine.

The 555-yard par-5 sixth had been friendly through the first two days, playing as the easiest hole on the golf course. It had even given Pinckney his only birdie during his 8-over-par 79, but the hole that was so generous all week took Pinckney’s exceptional second round away.

With his score at 8-over par through 32 holes Pinckney knew he had to make a move to make the cut.

He hit his drive in the fairway and went for the hole with his second shot to a water-protected green. It landed in the rough on the side of the green which left for a tough chip towards a hole location right by the water.

“It just kept on rolling,” Pinckney said, “It crept in the water and I had to go back 50 yards for a drop. It was tough.”

After a three-putt, most would expect 22-year-old amateur to fold on his final three holes, but Pinckney hung in there and made par, finishing with a 4-over-par 75. Without the 6th hole score, he would have had the third best round by an amateur. Only three amateurs made the cut, UCLA’s Patrick Cantlay, Georgia’s Russell Henley and Memphis’ Brad Benjamin.

Even though he missed the cut, which ended up at 4-over-par, Scott Pinckney’s U.S. Open experience was memorable.

“It was unbelievable. I learned a lot about my game, what I need to work on,” Pinckney said, “It was awesome.”

Part of the experience for Pinckney was getting to see his childhood friend Rory McIlroy dominate the course. The 22-year-old pro, who spent time with Pinckney when he lived in Utah, was the fastest player to reach 10-under par on his way to an outstanding 11 under par after the second round.

McIlroy wasn’t the only familiar face for Pinckney as he got to play practice rounds with ASU alums Paul Casey and Chez Reavie who both played under current head coach Randy Lein.

“There’s a lot of tradition here at ASU,” Lein said, “It’s not easy to get (to the U.S. Open), and once you get there it’s just a great test of golf.”

Next up for Pinckney will be the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship also held by the United States Golf Association in Salem, Oregon. The last Sun Devil to win the event was Reavie in 2001 when it was held at Pecan Valley Golf Course in San Antonio, Tex.

Reavie is one of only two Sun Devils still in contention at the U.S. Open, as both Pinckney and Casey didn’t make the cut. The other is Phil Mickelson who won three individual national championships and the U.S. Amateur while at ASU.

Mickelson has never won a U.S. Open despite finishing second five times, most recently in 2009. Reavie is looking to improve on his tied for 62nd finish in 2004.

Reach the reporter at jjmckelv@asu.edu.

×