Softball was NCAA-bound from the start

Complete season: ASU senior outfielder Lesley Rogers looks to steal third during the Sun Devils’ 4-2 win over Texas A&M on May 27. Senior leadership was just one of the many factors that led to ASU’s dominance this year.  (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)
Complete season: ASU senior outfielder Lesley Rogers looks to steal third during the Sun Devils’ 4-2 win over Texas A&M on May 27. Senior leadership was just one of the many factors that led to ASU’s dominance this year. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

From the outset of the 2011 season, the ASU softball team knew it had the necessary pieces in place to not only compete in the Pac-10, but for a national championship.

There was depth at every position, and a plethora of talent up and down the lineup. Whether it was pitching, clutch hitting and defense or leadership, the Sun Devils had it all.

The 2011 season was a magical one for ASU. In February and into March, the team strung together a stellar 23-game winning streak during nonconference play. The Sun Devils then moved on to the challenging Pac-10 schedule.

After winning the series against defending national champion UCLA, ASU traveled down south for a three-game set against rival Arizona. Behind 4-0, 13-10, and 8-3 wins, the Sun Devils made history by sweeping the Wildcats in Tucson for the first time in Territorial Cup history.

ASU then swept Oregon State and Washington the following weekends, and pieced together a 12-game winning streak during conference action. It finished with a 17-4 Pac-10 record, easily enough to claim the second Pac-10 championship in program history.

On May 20, the Sun Devils kicked off postseason play by hosting the Tempe Regional. ASU swept the tournament by run ruling both North Dakota State (10-0) and Long Beach State (8-0), and taking home a 6-1 victory over San Diego State on championship Sunday.

It was on to the Tempe Super Regional for the Sun Devils who faced off against visiting Texas A&M. Behind clutch hitting and lights out pitching, ASU won the first two games of the series to punch a ticket to Oklahoma City.

ASU made its fifth Women’s College World Series appearance in the last six seasons, and promptly handed Oklahoma a 3-1 loss in the opening game. After wins over Florida and Baylor, the Sun Devils found themselves in the WCWS championship series.

The Sun Devil bats came alive in game one against the Gators. Home runs from junior right fielder Annie Lockwood, senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth and sophomore second baseman Sam Parlich helped pace ASU to a commanding 14-4 win.

In game two, freshman pitcher Dallas Escobedo turned in a phenomenal performance by scattering five hits and two runs over seven innings while striking out five. The ASU offense chipped in seven runs to help ASU win the program’s second NCAA National Championship.

It takes a lot to win a softball national championship, and the Sun Devils owned those necessary pieces.

Pitching, pitching, and more pitching

ASU benefitted from an unusually deep pitching staff throughout the year. Escobedo led the way by posting an incredible first season in Tempe. The right-hander won 37 games while striking out 326 batters. She also notched 35 complete games.

Freshman Mackenzie Popescue and junior Hillary Bach combined for 23 wins in the back end of the pitching staff. Popescue and Bach finished the season with ERA’s of 2.22 and 2.79 respectively.

Red-hot bats and spectacular defense

ASU possessed one of the deepest, most talented lineups in the history of collegiate softball. Junior shortstop Katelyn Boyd hit leadoff in each game, and collected 18 homers and 66 RBI.

Senior catcher Kaylyn Castillo, Lockwood, senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth and senior first baseman Mandy Urfer made a dangerous middle of the order.

While the ASU offense was clearly explosive, the defense was just as impressive. The Sun Devils did not make a single error during the WCWS. Donnenwirth turned in highlight real plays all season long at third while Urfer made it look easy at first.

Senior leadership

The 2011 Sun Devils were led by a core group of seniors. From Urfer and Castillo to centerfielder Lesley Rogers and Donnenwirth, there was never any shortage of experience or leadership on the team.

Those seniors had the Pac-10 and WCWS experience necessary to help ASU be successful in pressure-packed situations. Urfer and Castillo were instrumental in helping Escobedo throughout the postseason. Urfer and Escobedo also teamed to help lead the Sun Devil dugout in dances and cheers, which led to a calm and confident ASU squad.

The 2011 season saw ASU reach the pinnacle of the collegiate softball world. It certainly takes a lot to win a national title, and in the end, the Sun Devils had it all.

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×