Coach Watson back to health for volleyball

COACH’S CIRCLE: Volleyball coach Jason Watson (center) addresses his players during a game last October. Watson missed a portion of last weekend’s Sheraton Classic due to health issues, but now has fully returned to his coaching duties. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Every group or organization has a leader. For the ASU volleyball team, their leader is coach Jason Watson.

A re-energized and healthy Watson returned to practice this week.

Junior middle blocker Erica Wilson explained that the assistant coaches filled in nicely last week, but it is different having their head coach around.

“The rest of staff did a great job,” Wilson said. “But it’s definitely great having Jason back.”

Watson could not wait to get back in the swing of things. He said he feels a little bit behind because he has not been around, but that has pushed him to work extra hard in practice this week.

Competition still fluid

Last weekend the Sun Devils revealed their starting lineup for the first time. However, according to the players and coaches those positions are not set in stone.

Starters know that they will be competing for spots for the entire year.

“Your position is never final,” Ashley Kastl said. “It is easy getting to the top but it is hard staying there.”

Kastl wants the other players to still push her and compete for her spot. She said that the competition will help her improve and help the team overall as a whole.

Wilson leads by example

Erica Wilson received the tournament MVP award last weekend for her play on the court. Wilson leads her team in the same way; she lets her actions speak for themselves.

Watson discussed how Wilson’s athletic abilities certainly help the team and her leadership also improves the Sun Devils play. Watson said that Wilson is not one of the vocal leaders on the team, so when she does speak up it carries a lot of weight.

“She goes about her work and she does it efficiently,” Watson said. “She is incredibly athletic, passionate and works really and people gravitate to her.”

Wilson is valuable for the ASU program for what she does on the court and her leadership off of it.

Bench steps up

With a 19-person roster and only 12 players on the court at one time, there should be a lot of players standing around at volleyball practice. But that is not the case at an ASU practice.

The ball is constantly moving as the team tries to take advantage of multiple reps. Players are constantly being rotated in and no one stays on the sideline for long.

Both players and coaches talked about how they really need great effort from all the players on the team during practice.

During practice Watson believes in shaking things up. He does not set up a starting team and a scout team during scrimmages. During a drill one side will have two starters and the other will have four, then everyone else rotates in.

Watson said his system helps the team as a whole, and he has high expectations for his bench players.

“We want them to come in and practice hard, get better and help the mean level of this program get better. That’s their job,” said Watson.

Watson is looking for his bench to really improve this year.

Injury update

Watson was pleased to say that freshman setter Shannan McCready is back in practice. He said she is almost fully recovered, but is not at game level yet.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×