Osweiler, offense ready to attack

TUNING UP: Junior quarterback Brock Osweiler fires a pass during Saturday’s intrasquad scrimmage. Osweiler, ASU’s undisputed starter this season, finished the game 10-for-15 for 137 yards and one touchdown. (Lisa Bartoli)

It all started on Nov. 26 of last season.

The Sun Devils found themselves in a 17-point deficit against visiting UCLA. On just their second offensive drive, starting quarterback Steven Threet suffered the fourth concussion of his career and was knocked from the game.

That’s when former backup Brock Osweiler stepped in. The 6’8” quarterback was thrust into the starting role and has yet to look back. Osweiler marched the Sun Devils back into contention by throwing for 380 yards and four touchdowns.

ASU completed the improbable comeback to defeat the Bruins 55-34, the highest point total of the season. One week later, it was Osweiler who led the Sun Devils to a thrilling 30-29 victory in the Territorial Cup versus Arizona.

Now it’s 2011 and Osweiler is the undisputed leader of an offense loaded with speed and dynamic weapons. In the second year of offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone’s spread offense, ASU returns 11 starters and boasts depth at every offensive position.

“I feel like that’s the strong point of our team is having experience at each position and guys that have played and guys that can make plays,” senior wide receiver Aaron Pflugrad said. “So that’s definitely a strength for our team.”

The success of ASU’s high-powered offensive attack hinges largely on its quarterbacks’ shoulders. Osweiler threw for 797 yards with five touchdowns and tacked on 124 rushing yards with one rushing touchdown.

Osweiler established himself as a team leader in spring practice and throughout the offseason. He often led workouts and throwing sessions, and even increased the offseason throwing by two days.

Osweiler has embraced the added expectations despite owning just two career starts.

“I love it,” Osweiler said. “When I was young and I started playing quarterback, that’s why I started to play. I wanted the ball in my hands. When that game is on the line, I want to be the person out there making the decision whether maybe we win or we lose.”

The Sun Devil quarterback will have no shortage of weapons around him. Talented seniors Mike Willie, Gerell Robinson, and Pflugrad lead the receiving corps.

“I definitely feel like we’ve had a lot of senior leadership,” Robinson said. “It’s more of a committee type of deal. Nobody has really done a whole lot, but at the same everybody has done their share to get this offense going.”

Willie led all ASU receivers with six touchdown catches a season ago while posting 481 receiving yards.  He played in all 12 of ASU’s games including a five catch, two-touchdown performance against Oregon.

Robinson hauled in five touchdown catches in 2010. In the September second matchup against Oregon State, he reeled in a 39-yard pass for his first career touchdown.

After transferring from Oregon in 2009, Pflugrad caught 29 passes for 329 yards last season and provides Osweiler with a quick target downfield. Junior Jamal Miles also figures to make his presence felt on offense. In addition to contributing on special teams, Miles combined for six touchdowns on offense.

ASU will however be without senior T.J. Simpson, who suffered an ACL injury this past spring.

Complementing the Sun Devil passing attack is a multi-threat running game. Junior running back Cameron Marshall along with sophomores Deantre Lewis and Kyle Middlebrooks all posted breakout seasons in 2010.

Marshall evolved into an explosive back as he ran for a team leading 787 yards and nine touchdowns. He completed ASU’s longest rushing play of the season by bursting for a 71-yard touchdown against UCLA.

Lewis, who is recovering from a gunshot wound suffered this past February, wasn’t far behind with his 539 yards and four rushing scores. Middlebrooks, meanwhile, tacked on 82 rushing yards while catching 13 passes for 86 yards.

“We have a lot of speed at the receiver position, back field, slots, everywhere,” Middlebrooks said. “We can just go up, hit the edge, open field, everywhere.”

Senior Trevor Kohl will anchor the tight end position. He embarks on his third season in Tempe after walking on from Mesa Community College. The Gilbert, Ariz. native has proven to be a durable blocker during his 11 games played last season. Kohl also caught a pair of 15-yard catches.

The ASU offensive line has struggled in recent years, but in 2011 things have certainly upgraded up front for the Sun Devils.

All five starters — senior center Garth Gerhart, sophomore Evan Finkenberg, senior Dan Knapp, senior Mike Marcisz and junior Andrew Sampson — will return this season.

Gerhart is undoubtedly the driving force behind the group. He was named to the 2011 Rimington Trophy Watch List, and is one of just three returning centers in the Pac-12.

“He’s a veteran guy,” offensive line coach Gregg Smith said. “He’s a leader, and he controls the front. He makes all the calls up front and does everything that we need to do. So he’s a guy that we’ve got to make sure really stays healthy.”

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×