This year’s D-backs deserve your support

I must say, I’m pretty disappointed in all of you.

I understand that school just started up again, that the NFL is back in business, and that the haboobs here and there might be somewhat distracting. But if you are a sports fan, and especially if you are a baseball fan, there is really no legitimate excuse for not giving your attention to the Arizona Diamondbacks right now.

And I’m sad to say it, but records indicate that most of you aren’t giving your full — if any — support.

The Diamondbacks currently sit atop the National League West with a one and a half game lead over the defending champion San Francisco Giants, but you wouldn’t be able to discern their success from looking at attendance marks. Arizona is ranked a dismal 23rd in the put-people-in-the-seats standings so far this year, averaging an unacceptable 24,155 fans per home game (a 49.7 percent capacity average at Chase Field).

Teams ahead of the Diamondbacks in attendance rankings include Seattle (people basically paying to watch Little Leaguers hit), Pittsburgh (18 consecutive losing seasons) and Houston (sitting 34 games back in the NL Central). Come on, people, Chase Field is air conditioned, not to mention it’s the home to a first-place squad. Where’s the love at?

Still not convinced that your local baseball team deserves your time and money? Trust me, these aren’t your cellar-dwelling Diamondbacks that those in the Valley area fans have become accustomed to watching over the past few years. These D-backs are scrappy (35 come-from-behind wins this season, most in the majors). These D-backs are tough.

While the bullpen was the team’s Achilles Heel last year, 2011 has proved to be a much different story, as Arizona is 62-0 when leading after eight innings.

And, most of all, it’s clear to anyone who watches these guys that this year’s D-backs have the killer instinct (eight times they have erased a four-run deficit to win) needed to take the NL West crown and make a run in the playoffs.

Much of the credit for the sudden change of mentality in the Diamondbacks organization is due to the All-Star coaching staff, which has transformed a 65-97 team from last season into one of the biggest surprises in baseball.

World Series hero Kirk Gibson heads an all-star-laden staff that includes Don Baylor, Charles Nagy, Eric Young, Matt Williams and Alan Trammell. This core group of coaches brings a perfect mix of experience and grit to a youthful team that was obviously lacking a bit of both last season.

Another catalyst for the unexpected success that Arizona is experiencing this season is the emergence of outfielder Justin Upton as one of the most dangerous sluggers in the game. Upton, who is leading the team in every major offensive category, is hitting .298 with 25 home runs this year and is the most potent bat in a line-up that has the ability to score from top to bottom.

Pitching-wise, Ian Kennedy, who is tied for an NL-best 15 wins, has also made a name for himself as the Diamondbacks’ new ace and is another major reason why Arizona is currently in first place.

Last year Tampa Bay Rays infielder Evan Longoria called out the Rays’ fan base for their dismal attendance at Tropicana Field in the middle of a pennant race. Now, it’s my turn to call out every alleged “baseball fan” in the state of Arizona: Your support of your baseball team is mediocre, at best.

Be a responsible citizen and head out to Chase Field as least once before the end of the season and support your Diamondbacks. This is a team that lost an MLB-high 25 games during Spring Training, and are now in the thick of the division race.

Start believing in the D-backs. Come October, they just might surprise you.

Reach the columnist at kyle.j.newman@asu.edu

×