It’s amazing how much the look of college football has changed in ten years.

Rewind back to 2001: ASU was still wearing the classic baggy all-maroon shirt — and most teams had just as many fashion combinations as Oregon did.

This was before Nike and Under Armour dominated the sport.

Flash forward to 2010. It’s now a common theme for athletic directors to try to bring sexy to the program.

In last season’s opening weekend that pitted Boise State against Virginia Tech, on paper it was an epic war between two Top-10 teams, but the battle of their revolutionary Nike Combat Pro jersey lines was just as popular of a topic.

Say what you want about teams spending too much planning how intimidating they want to look in battle, but this is an excellent recruiting pitch.

First of all, Nike and Under Armour pay all of these teams to wear their newly designed uniforms. That already provides the programs with enough green to provide more scholarships and improve facilities.

Second, what top prospect doesn’t want to play for a team whose appearance matches their caliber? It works for the Ducks, Maryland, TCU, and hopefully ASU in the future.

But a weaker program like Louisiana Tech, whose digs have barely changed since the program was formed? Its future is not so bright.

×