How to: Feng Shui Your Room

Photo by Alex Karamanova.
Photo by Alex Karamanova.

It’s only the start of a stressful semester for most. Many students are moving out of their parents’ home and into tiny residence-hall rooms or shared apartments. Also, in most situations, you study, eat, hang out with friends and work in the same room that you sleep in from day to day. With all the craziness and stress in the world the bedroom should be a calming and peaceful place as opposed to the hectic world we students live in.

Feng Shui is an ancient art and science developed for more than 3,000 years in China that’s still practiced today. It says the placement and arrangement of things such as furniture and objects matter in playing a part of how harmonious and peaceful a room is. Feng shui also gives off positive energy and good health, along with clearing out all the clutter in your life. Feng shui can be a fun and simple way to give us some sense of relief in our hectic lives. Allow your apartment or dorm room to become a place of tranquility and peacefulness with these easy to do tips:

Don’t be a pack rat: The first and foremost thing you could do to promote better feng shui is to get rid of clutter. This mean getting rid of all your unnecessary objects such as old books and old clothes; getting rid of things that you don’t need is just the start in properly feng shui-ing your bedroom. Allowing your room to breathe will not only change your space but yourself also by allowing your mind to open up to new ideas. You’ll feel the difference immediately and you life will undergo a positive change.

Just add water: Water is such an important element in feng shui. It’s relaxing and symbolizes health and moving chi, or energy. There are a few ways to incorporate it into a small space, such as setting up a small fountain. These are really easy to manage since you just plug them in. Another option is to buy a colorful betta fish. While other pets require time and money, a betta fish is also easy to manage along with providing good feng shui. Just watching them swim along in a fish bowl of water has been proven to be an anxiety and stress reducer.

In living color: In feng shui, certain colors can influence your mood. There are “warm” colors, which include reds, oranges, and yellows. These colors stimulate and excite. Having a warm color on your desk will help you stay energized. There are also “cool” colors, which are your blues, purples and greens. These are known to relax. Choosing a cool color for your bed instead of a warmer color will give you a better night’s rest.

Rearrange: Another huge aspect to proper feng shui is your furniture placement. With any small space, you don’t really have much choice to arrange your room. A simple way to arrange is by starting with the bed. Try to face it in the direction of your doorway but not directly in line with it. This will promote more positive energy since energy from the outside world is being let in, rather than blocked by a large bed.

Bring in something from nature: Plants make rooms more breathable since they are constantly expelling energy as well as oxygen. You can choose to add fresh flowers, tiny trees such as bonsai trees, or bamboo. IKEA has a huge selection of indoor plants that don’t require much care or sunlight. If you don’t want to hold the responsibility to care for a plant, a pretty photo of one or of nature could have similar benefits.

×