Parker quietly anchoring the defense

UNDER THE RADAR: ASU redshirt senior linebacker Colin Parker (21) looks to the sideline during the Sun Devils’ victory over UC Davis on Sept. 1. Parker has been the unsung leader of the ASU defense all season. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Quarterbacks, running backs, receivers and hard-hitting safeties usually garner the majority of the headlines and attention.

But sometimes, players in the lesser-credited positions, such as ASU senior linebacker Colin Parker, make some of the biggest impacts.

“Well that’s our defensive captain,” sophomore cornerback Osahon Irabor said. “That says it all right there. We have a lot of trust in him. He’s a smart guy. He’s kind of the quarterback for the defense.”

While Parker has always viewed himself as a leader, his teammates acknowledged his leadership qualities by voting him as the team’s captain.

Despite his newly acquired captain status, Parker has not changed the way he leads or interacts with his teammates.

“It hasn’t really changed my leadership role,” Parker said. “I’m definitely one of those show by example kind of leaders. I want to be more vocal. That’s not necessarily what I’m about all the time but I’m definitely trying to step up the vocal part.”

Although he has always seen himself with the qualities necessary to lead, Parker feels that being voted a captain was something he had to earn.

“There’s a certain role you have to fill before you can be a leader,” Parker said. “Especially in football, you have to be out on the field. People have to respect your play. I’ve always felt like I’m a leader, but this year it all came together for me.”

Not only has Parker’s play caught the eye of his teammates, but it has impressed the coaching staff as well.

“He’s a football player,” coach Dennis Erickson said. “He’s fought through injuries. He’s fought through position changes. He’s fought through not playing. He’s fought through a lot of different things. He’s always hung in there. Last year he played extremely well and he deserves (to be a captain). Right now he’s our leader on defense.”

Linebacker coach Trent Bray also raved about the outside linebacker.

“He means a ton,” Bray said. “Not only is he a guy that can help people on the field know where they’re supposed to go, he can (play) multiple positions and whenever a guy can do that, it adds depth even without adding another player. I think it’s a tremendous accomplishment for him (to be voted captain).”

Irabor, Bray and Erickson all complimented Parker’s knowledge of the game and awareness on the field.

While this stems from his intense four-hour-a-day film study, it also helps him coach up his younger teammates.

“When I’m coaching somebody out and trying to help somebody else out it helps me understand the defense even better,” Parker said. “I feel like I have to know everything so that I’m not telling somebody else something wrong.”

Parker, who attended Chandler Hamilton High School and is the son of former ASU great and NFL player Anthony Parker, has had an impressive football career.

Rated by rivals.com as the top linebacker in Arizona, Parker was the first player to commit to play for the Sun Devils in 2007.

Although he redshirted his freshman year, Parker has steadily improved through his tenure as a Sun Devil. In 2010 he set a career high for starts with five and tackles with 57.

As impressive as last season may have been, the bar has been set and 2011 should be even better.

“I think he’s going to be a big time player,” Bray said. “He’s always in the right spot. He makes plays, I think he’ll have a great season and help us win.”

While the majority of his focus is on the Sun Devils and their opponents, the captain has not lost sight of the fact that this will be his final season in maroon and gold.

“It is a little bit different because it is my senior year,” Parker said. “It feels real. This is (my) last season. (I) really want to go out and do absolutely everything (I) can to get ready for each and every game.”

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×