The EDGE: ASU holds all the cards

UNDER CONTROL: Junior linebacker Vontaze Burfict wraps up USC redshirt senior tailback Marc Tyler during the Sun Devils’ 43-22 win over the Trojans on Saturday. ASU appears to be the better team against Oregon State coming into Saturday’s matchup against the Beavers. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out more action photos from Saturday's game in this slideshow.

OR

See if State Press caught you cheering on the Devils in this fan slideshow.

Quarterback

EDGE: ASU

He’s shown poise, confidence, and an impressive ability to lead his team to a pair of wins over ranked opponents. Junior quarterback Brock Osweiler is off to a strong start in his first full season as the ASU football team’s starter.

Two weeks after orchestrating an eye catching win over Missouri, Osweiler defeated another Top-25 opponent in Southern California at Sun Devil Stadium. He completed 25 of his 32 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns.

Osweiler has now thrown for 2,140 yards and 15 touchdowns in 16 career games.

Oregon State’s offense is led by redshirt freshman Sean Mannion. The 6’5” California native made his first career start in last week’s loss to UCLA. He passed for 287 yards and a touchdown.

Running Back

EDGE: ASU

Junior running back Cameron Marshall’s status was questionable in the days preceding the USC game. It turns out that he was capable to play and then some.

In typical Marshall fashion, he powered the Sun Devils offense by running for 141 yards and three touchdowns. He wasted little time in getting the offense rolling, scampering for a 70-yard touchdown run on just the fourth play from scrimmage.

That run marked the third longest touchdown run of his career, and his three scores tied his career-high.

The highest Beaver rusher last week was sophomore running back Jovon Stevenson who ran for 47 yards on seven carries. Like Mannion, freshman running back Terrance Ward made his starting debut against the Trojans. He received 13 carries, but amassed only 26 yards.

Wide Receiver/ Tight Ends

EDGE: ASU

Senior wide receivers Aaron Pflugrad and Gerell Robinson have both shown their ability to make game changing catches in recent weeks. They combined for seven catches and just 71 receiving yards last Saturday.

Junior wide receiver Jamal Miles led the way in the air for ASU with his career-high nine catches and 55 receiving yards. Senior wide receiver Mike Willie also reeled in four passes for 44 yards.

For the Beavers, senior wide receiver James Rodgers returns this season after suffering a knee injury that sidelined him for the majority of the 2010 season. In 2009, Rodgers was selected to the All-Pac-10 First Team and established a school record with 91 catches.

Rodgers caught five passes for 76 yards last week.

Junior wide receiver Markus Wheaton also provides Mannion with a formidable target downfield. The Chandler, Ariz. native led all OSU receivers with 7 catches for 83 yards against the Bruins.

Offensive Line

EDGE: ASU

Osweiler brought his entire offensive line to the postgame press conference following ASU’s win over the Trojans. Like he’s done all season long, he praised his teammate’s efforts and stressed their importance in the outcome.

While Marshall was busy carving the USC defense for three touchdowns, it was the offensive line that helped the Sun Devils collect 169 rushing yards.

Similar to ASU, the Beavers’ offensive line is anchored by a senior center in Grant Johnson. He’s made 28 consecutive starts after starting his OSU career as a walk on. Johnson was originally a starter at left guard before making the shift to center before 2011 spring practice.

He was named to the Rimington Trophy Award watch list prior to the start of the season.

Defensive Line

EDGE: ASU

The ASU defensive line enters this week’s matchup against OSU a bit banged up. Sophomore defensive end Junior Onyeali remains sidelined from a torn meniscus.

Sophomore defensive end Davon Coleman started in Onyeali’s place in Saturday’s game. That marked his first career start as a Sun Devil. With Onyeali out, it’s up to Coleman and senior defensive end Bo Moos to pick up the slack.

Moos wreaked havoc on the USC offense as he sacked junior quarterback Matt Barkley in the first quarter. In the fourth quarter, Moos recovered a fumble to help seal ASU’s win.

Senior right tackle and co-team captain Kevin Frahm leads the OSU defensive line. He brings a physical presence to the defensive front along with junior left end Taylor Henry. Freshman defensive end Scott Crichton is tied for sixth in the conference with four tackles for loss.

Linebackers

EDGE: ASU

It was a 21st birthday to remember for junior linebacker Vontaze Burfict last Saturday. After Barkley and USC labeled him as a “dirty player” in the days preceding the game, Burfict went out and had his finest game of the 2011 season.

He reeled in his first career interception in the second quarter and returned in for 36 yards.

Senior linebacker Colin Parker has been consistently solid through the season’s first four games. He amassed five solo tackles and a forced fumble versus the Trojans. Senior linebacker Shelly Lyons was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week following his standout performance in ASU’s win over the Trojans. He grabbed his first career interception while also tallying four tackles.

Junior linebacker Feti ‘Unga anchors the linebacker position for the Beavers. He is tops in the Pac-12 in tackles per game with 10.3. ‘Unga established a career-high with 14 tackles versus UCLA.

Secondary

EDGE: Even

ASU’s secondary has certainly been tested so far this season. Whether it’s been through injuries to key starters or squaring off against skilled receivers such as USC sophomore Robert Woods, this unit has generally fared well in four games.

Sophomore cornerback Osahon Irabor notched a career-high nine tackles against the Illini.

Senior safety Eddie Elder was cleared to play against USC after suffering a concussion during the latter part of the Illinois game. Elder owns 85 career tackles with 5 ½ of those being for loss.

OSU senior safety Lance Mitchell has made 24 consecutive starts for the Beavers. In OSU’s 2010 game against TCU, he collected 18 tackles en route to earning Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Week honors.

Junior defensive back Jordan Poyer has also emerged as a viable playmaker in the secondary. He leads the Beaver defense with two pass break-ups.

Special Teams

EDGE: Even

Miles remains a strong threat for ASU in the return game. He returned a UC Davis kickoff 98-yards for a touchdown in week one. That was the second kickoff return for a touchdown of his career.

The Sun Devils have returned six kickoffs to the end zone since coach Dennis Erickson took over in 2007.

In addition to playing defensive back, Poyer leads the Pac-12 in punt returns yards average with 25.3 yards per game. Last week, he burst for an 85-yard touchdown return against the Bruins. He was named Pac-12 Special Teams Player of the Week.

Senior punter Johnny Hekker is in his fourth season as the starter. He booted two punts of 50 or more yards last week to earn honorable mention Punter of the Week by College Football Performance Awards.

Overall: The Sun Devils head into their second Pac-12 game of the season with plenty of optimism after two wins over Top-25 opponents in the season’s first four weeks. ASU was effectively able to cut down on penalties and turnovers last week, which was crucial in its first victory over USC in 11 years.

On the other hand, OSU remains winless in 2011. This marks the eighth straight season in which the Beavers enter October with a losing record. With Osweiler at the helm and ASU’s defense playing well, the Sun Devils have the edge in this one.

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×