Volleyball happy to be back home

BACK IN TEMPE: Current and former members of the ASU volleyball team shake hands after the Alumnae Game in August. The Sun Devils play their first home game since Oct. 27 on Friday. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

There is nothing better than sleeping in your own bed.

It has been almost a month since the ASU women’s volleyball team has hosted a home match in Tempe. Needless to say, the Sun Devils are excited to be home.

Freshman outside hitter Nora Tuioti-Mariner said that she enjoys playing at home because of the spirit of the home crowd. For the past couple weeks she has had to play away and deal in front of the opponents fans and she is excited to see her fans.

“When we are here we feel like we’re home,” Tuioti-Mariner said. “You can feel the spirit and the [fans] cheering us on feels good.”

Junior middle blocker Erica Wilson does not blame the Sun Devils’ past losses on the fact that they were on the road. But playing at home is an advantage.

“Traveling is definitely hard because you are exhausted and you are not used to the court,” Wilson said. “When you are home you have the extra support that you need.”

If last year is any indication, ASU tends to play better against Pac-12 opponents at home. ASU swept Pac-12 powerhouses USC and UCLA last season at home.

Chippy talk helps team

During a scrimmage on Tuesday it got pretty intense on the court. Multiple times the players argued and exchanged some competitive words after the play.

Coach Jason Watson said that rivalries within the team help the team as a whole. He is also very impressed by the maturity of his team. He said whatever happens on court stays on the court.

“We want them to fight for stuff,” Watson said. “We are in a highly competitive conference and we need to be able to fight for things”

The atmosphere at practice helps the team improve their skills but it also prepares them for other opponents.

Tuioti-Mariner said that she sometimes likes to get under the skin of some of her teammates in practice. She said freshman setter Shannan McCready is one of her favorite targets.

But the reason she does this is to prepare her teammates for gameplay. When an opposing player directs something toward them, they will just shake it off because they have heard it all before.

“It’s good that we pick on them,” Tuioti-Mariner said. “So when other teams pick on them it doesn’t faze them.”

McGaffin continues to improve

It seems that as the season goes on sophomore setter Sarah McGaffin assists numbers continue to grow. Last weekend she had a season-high number of assists.

“I thought it was her best weekend,” Watson said. “I thought she was especially good on Friday night pushing quick doing some of the things that we have asked her to do.”

McGaffin’s teammates said that she puts in the work to get better every week.

Wilson said that McGaffin has improved her physical skills and she also has improved her understanding of the mental strategy of the game.

“As a setter she is getting smarter on the court,” Wilson said. “You have to know your players on the other side of the net and on your side of the net.”

With the way that McGaffin works to get better, her numbers should continue to increase.

Injury report

Redshirt junior outside hitter Sofie Schlagintweit and redshirt freshman libero Katie Fontes both sat out during the team scrimmage on Tuesday.

Watson said that they have been making progress and participate in the opening drills but cannot compete 100 percent.

Schlagintweit has not been cleared to use full arm movement yet. Fontes broke her finger on the last play of one practice and continues to work to get back.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×