Cardinals’ Pujols needs to get the contract he deserves

The World Series started last night in St. Louis. Do you know what that means?

It’s time to pay Prince Albert.

The Cardinals owe their current position in the Fall Classic to the efforts of future first-ballot Hall of Famer Albert Pujols. The slugging first baseman threw St. Louis on his back down the stretch and led them to a World Series birth.

And now, win or lose, the Cardinals must give Pujols the monster contract that he has earned.

Ten years, $300 million sure did sound pretty unreasonable before the season started. Many critics said that no player, not even a three-time MVP nicknamed “The Machine,” is worthy of that kind of money.

But how much is a World Series appearance worth? More importantly, how much is a World Series title worth?

The answer: priceless. Which is why St. Louis must concede to Pujols’ contract demands. He’s already been a key component on two previous World Series squads for St. Louis, including the 2006 team that won it all.

And here he is again in 2011, front and center in the Cardinals’ improbable run to the World Series.

To recap, St. Louis trailed Atlanta in the Wild Card by 10 1/2 games on Aug. 25 before the Cardinals proceeded to win 23 of their remaining 31 contests, and clinch a postseason spot on the final day of the season. Though Pujols got off to a slow start this year (by his standards, anyway), he had a great second half and a torrid final month. With their backs up against the wall, Prince Albert carried the offense when it mattered most, hitting .355 with five dingers and 20 RBIs in September.

I can’t discount the roles that manager Tony LaRussa, ace Chris Carpenter, veteran power hitter Lance Berkman and the emerging David Freese, among others, have played in St. Louis’ World Series bid. But the bottom line is, there is no player in the majors that is more valuable to his team than Pujols. He is the glue that holds everything together.

Pujols’ play in the final month of the regular season was another indication that St. Louis ownership would be wise to give him the contract he wants — or, at the very least, a better contract than anyone else offers. In the playoffs, it’s been a man-among-boys situation for Pujols: He’s hitting .419 on the postseason, including a ridiculous .478 average in the recent NLCS against Milwaukee.

Some critics argue that in ten years, Pujols will be a mediocre player at best. This is where I absolutely, 100 percent disagree. I truly believe that not only is Pujols the most talented player in the game today, but that he will be the best of all time when he’s done. On top of his unmatched natural talent, Pujols a) didn’t do steroids and b) is one of the hardest workers in the game, leading me to the conclusion that he will still be performing at a very high level even when he’s 41.

This is your guy, St. Louis. This is your modern-day Stan Musial. Hell, Pujols is better than Musial was. He’s given you everything you’ve asked for. He has single handedly brought your franchise back to relevancy in the modern era. And he has, nearly single handedly, brought your franchise to the brink of yet another World Series championship.

Also consider that Theo Epstein is in Chicago now. It would be a shame to see Pujols end up a Cub, wouldn’t it, St. Louis?

Reach the columnist at kjnewma2@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×