Many ASU fans resented the refs’ final ruling on the Bryan Bennett fumble in the final minutes of the ASU-Oregon game.

But around that same time on Saturday night, a decision made in boxing was far more controversial.

Toward the end of the second round of the WBC Light Heavyweight Championship, 46-year-old defending champion Bernard Hopkins wrapped up Chad Dawson. Dawson responded with an MMA-like move, grabbing Hopkins and throwing him to the canvas, dislocating his right shoulder.

Illegal move, right? Not in the eyes of referee Pat Russell.

Russell, one of the most respected boxing officials in California, did stop the fight. However, he ruled that Hopkins suffered an injury that couldn’t let him continue, and awarded Dawson a technical knockout and the title belt.

The final call created an angry outcry by the rest of the boxing world. The HBO announcers even disagreed with the call, and an appeal is inevitable.

Technology has made sports officiating much more efficient, but still, referees need to make the proper judgments. Refs do make mistakes sometimes, but they can’t just disregard it in those situations, because their ruling is the ultimate word, especially when they can change the game’s outcome.

As journalists we’re obligated to correct ourselves, no matter what. Those Saturday night officials need to follow the same.

×