Football’s Jarrett quietly becoming a force

WATCH OUT: ASU senior defensive end Jamaar Jarrett (92) fights to reach OSU redshirt freshman quarterback Sean Mannion during the Sun Devils’ 35-20 win on Saturday. Jarrett’s performance on defense has opposing teams looking to avoid him. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

Check out photos from Saturday's game against OSU in this slideshow.

OR

Were you in the stands at the ASU v OSU game? See if you can find yourself or your friends in this fan slideshow.

Jamaar Jarrett doesn’t like talking about himself. He shies away from media notoriety.

But the senior defensive end is quite the opposite on the field. He’s got a motor that won’t quit.

And it’s one that opposing team’s are now trying to avoid.

“They know he’s dominate at points and I think people have tried to go away from him at sometimes this year,” redshirt senior defensive lineman Bo Moos said. “He’s one of those guys who are a little unpredictable. But on the field, he’s about business. He’s been able to finally put everything together.”

Against then-No. 21 Missouri, Jarrett placed the pressure on fourth down in overtime on Tiger quarterback James Franklin that forced an incompletion.

Last week while hosting Oregon State, Jarrett picked up four tackles, including two sacks and another for a loss.

“Jamaar played extremely well in that football game and he’s getting better all the time,” ASU coach Dennis Erickson said. “The thing about Jamaar that has really impressed me this year is how he practices and how he’s trying to improve to get better. The coaches are teaching him some different things, and he’s picking up on it.”

Facing a mobile quarterback

With Utah’s regular starter junior quarterback Jordan Wynn out of Saturday’s game due to injury, ASU will see junior transfer Jon Hayes.

Unlike Wynn, Hayes is more of a quarterback who can hurt teams with his legs. During his second junior college season, Hayes ran for five touchdowns, including a long of 83 yards.

But seeing a mobile quarterback won’t scare the Sun Devils. They’ve already faced two in 2011.

Against Missouri, ASU allowed 109 rushing yards to Franklin.

But a week later at Illinois, the Sun Devils contained Nathan Scheelhaase much better, only giving up an average of 3.7 yards per rush.

“We’ve obviously gotten broke into those types of quarterbacks,” Moos said. “It’s all an assignment type thing. We are prepared scrambles now, but we’re not taking any breaks. He’s a little smaller but that can be an advantage at some points because we can’t see him when he decides to run.”

Confidence in replacements

With the multiple injuries to the offensive line, some new faces will have to step up Saturday.

Redshirt freshman lineman Tyler Sulka and sophomore center Kody Koebensky will see extended playing time, something neither is really used to.

But judging from the attitudes of their teammates, Sulka and Koebensky will be just fine when thrown into the fire.

“We’re all going to be out there helping each other,” redshirt senior lineman Dan Knapp said. “We know what they can do and we will be there to encourage them.”

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×