Thousands of people gather for the Phoenix AIDS walk

Barb Eldridge’s son Rychard Whalen died of complications from AIDS in 2004. He was 36 years old.

Eldridge was one of thousands to participate in the AIDS Walk Phoenix & 5K Run Sunday morning.

“I’m hoping to memorialize Rychard and for this to help me heal,” she said.

Participants started at Third Avenue and Washington Street to the walk or run for those afflicted with HIV and AIDS.

Registered walkers raised a total of $354,778, and as of Sunday night donations are still being counted for a more accurate total, said Kit Kloeckl, executive director of Aunt Rita’s Foundation. Aunt Rita’s Foundation works to support Phoenix-area AIDS service organizations.

All proceeds will go toward 19 different agencies supporting and performing research for a cure for HIV and AIDS.

Besides those walking, volunteers also supported the cause by helping organize and run the event.

“It needs all the support it can get,” volunteer and justice studies junior Krystal Garcia said. “It’s an awesome cause that doesn’t have a cure yet.”

Like Garcia, others said events like these needed to continue until a cure is discovered, and the cause needs better promotion.

“It’s just an amazing cause to help out and a great way to support the community,” said Damon Anderson, leader of Team 3003, the number of the Walgreens store.

The Walk’s speakers stressed AIDS does not discriminate. Anyone can contract AIDS or HIV and once contracted, it changes your life in an irrevocable way.

Organizers of AIDS Walk Phoenix & 5K Run did not discriminate either. There were no restrictions for participants: all ages, races and sexes were welcome.

Participants ranged from two grown men determined to walk the entire route in high heels to a middle-aged man wrestling with eight Dalmatian dogs on leashes throughout the 5K. Costumes from Star Wars films and people in face paint and renaissance gowns were spotted among the crowd as well.

The Walk was a safe setting to express their support in any way they found fit.

For those personally afflicted by HIV and AIDS, the Walk was an intimate victory.

“I made him a promise,” Eldridge said as she continued to tell her son’s story to anyone willing to listen. “I promised that I would try to make a difference.”

Reach the reporter at jasmine.barta@asu.edu

×