Anders leads women’s basketball out of 'interim' role

HOT START: ASU junior guard Micaela Pickens takes a jumper from just outside the lane during the Sun Devils’ exhibition win over Azusa Pacific. Two games into the season, the junior college transfer is already making a big impact for ASU. (Photo by Samuel Rosenbaum)

The word “interim” is not stopping ASU women's basketball interim coach Joseph Anders from competing at the highest level this season.

Anders took over the helm after previous head coach Charli Turner Thorne took a leave of absence last May for personal reasons.

Anders was a head coach before his time at ASU. He said that coaching the Sun Devils is no different, even though he is the interim coach.

“Basketball is basketball, passion is passion (and) love of the game is love of the game,” Anders said.

As a head coach, Anders has had some significant success. While at Wilmar High in Wilmar, Ark., he brought the men’s team a state championship in 1982.

He then moved on to coach the men’s team at Sacramento State University. Under Anders’ tenure the Hornets had one their best years in school history with a 22-6 record and a bid to the 1988 NCAA Division II Tournament.

Players are on board and are excited to play for Anders this season. After the victory against UC Riverside, the team was excited to get the first win for Anders.

The Sun Devils are looking for success this year. Anders and the athletic administration are not letting the term interim get in the way of that.

“When I was placed in this capacity (athletic director) Lisa Love came to the office that day and she said to me, ‘Joseph this is not a holding pattern, we want you to push this brand forward,’” Anders said. “We know what we are to do, our standards have been set before now and we are working to live up to those.”

Pickens adjusts well

Transferring from a junior college to Division I basketball can be tough.

Junior guard Michaela Pickens, however, is making it look easy.

In the Sun Devils first two games, Pickens has racked up 20 points and 17 rebounds.

Pickens averaged 19.6 points and seven rebounds per game for Cypress College in Cypress, Calif. In 2011 she was awarded the California Junior College South Player of the Year and a State Farm Junior College All-American.

Pickens said the transition could be difficult at times.

“It’s kind of hard not to feel as a freshman,” Pickens said. “It was tough in the beginning, but now playing with these girls it is easier. I feel more comfortable with the girls I’m playing with.”

A surprising statistic for Pickens in the past two games is that fact that the 5-foot-8-inch guard has 17 rebounds.

She filled in the power forward position before at Cypress College and said that has helped her rebounding skills at the next level.

“Coach Meg (Sanders) always rides me about going in to get rebound (and) crash the boards,” Pickens said.

As Pickens becomes even more comfortable in Division I play, her skills should improve helping the Sun Devils to more victories.

Bench boasts big numbers

In the Sun Devils game vs. UC Riverside, ASU’s bench outscored the Highlanders’ 27-9.

One reason for the high numbers off the bench was of the ASU freshmen.

Freshman guards Promise Amukamara, Eliza Normen and forward Jada Blackwell all came off the bench and made a strong impact on the game.

Amukamara lead the freshmen with six points. Normen helped on the boards with four rebounds. 6-foot-1-inch Blackwell showed her long-range skills getting five points, one shoot coming deep behind the arc.

The freshman showed off a strong recruiting class for ASU. They hope to continue to make their impact made coming off the bench.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×