Q&A: Dan Knapp on his career, life after college

ASU senior offensive lineman Dan Knapp (69) walks up to the line of scrimmage during the Sun Devils’ loss to UA on Saturday. Knapp was converted from a tight end to a lineman early in his collegiate career. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

Check out more photos from Saturday's game against U of A in this slideshow. OR Were you in the student section for the game? See if The State Press caught you cheering on the Sun Devils in this slideshow.

Dan Knapp played in 16 games — starting in nine of them — as a tight end in a Sun Devil uniform.  That was the position he excelled at for his entire football career, so much so he was the top ranked player at the position in Nevada coming out of high school.

But then came one August day last year. The coaches decided to switch him to an offensive lineman, a position he had never played before.

There’s wanting to play no matter what, and then there’s needing to play no matter what. As a tight end, Knapp had to keep a manageable weight to stay mobile in running routes. As a lineman, he had to gain pounds to be able to lineup in front of huge defensive linemen.

Two years and 17 starts later, Knapp is preparing to suit up for the final time at ASU Friday against California.

“He’s been through more adverse situations and he’s never complained once,” said ASU junior quarterback Brock Osweiler, who was always Knapp’s roommate.  “He’s always had a positive attitude and that’s Dan Knapp. He’s one of our hardest working guys and he’s the role model you want for a football player.”

The State Press recently caught up with Knapp to ask him about his career and what’s next for him after the season.

State Press: What’s your favorite memory as a Sun Devil?

Dan Knapp: Beating UA down in Tucson last year, absolutely. That’s my most cherished memory, I wish we could’ve got another one this past Saturday but that’s not the way it went down.

SP: Do you have regrets at all about your time here?

DK: Not at all; I’ve had such a blast. The past four years have been the best years of my life so far. I came out here and did my thing. It’s unfortunate the team wasn’t as successful as we all thought but that’s the way things are. Things will pan out in the future.

SP: How would you describe this senior class of 22 guys?

DK: Special, to put it in one word. We have so many characters and so many different kinds of guys on this team. We were the first class to come in with (coach Dennis) Erickson and we shared this whole experience with him. It’s been fun.

SP: What’s new for you after you’re done in Tempe?

DK: It kind of depends on the rest of the season and how training goes and then the draft. As of right now, I’m trying to go to the next level.

SP: Will you stay a part of the program?

DK: Absolutely. I’ll always stop to come back and support this place. I’ll always be a Devils fan until the day I die and depending where my future takes me, this will be my home. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×