If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of campus, escape into a time capsule of rugged Arizona history, and leave some money in that ever-shrinking piggy bank, I know the perfect place: Jerome.

It’s about two hours north from the central Phoenix area. So grab a group of friends, rock-paper-scissors for a driver and head out. Ideally, the driver would love to drive, and more importantly, not get queasy along switchbacks, 180 degree bends in a road or path.

Because if you're going to take the best route to Jerome, you will end up on 89A, which has precarious switchbacks that offer amazing views but leave little between you and the edge of a mountain.

Jerome rests on the side of Cleopatra Hill, in the air of seclusion and mystery.  You will even find T-shirts in gift shops with sayings such as “I survived 89A.” How do I know? Oh, well, because I was enough of a dork to buy one.

Jerome is not your typical ritzy tourist trap. It's a historic mining town that was founded in 1876. It turned into a ghost town, until its tale was brought to life again.

Sure, it’s now geared towards tourism, but you don’t have to drop a pretty penny to enjoy yourself.

You can find free parking and everything you want to see is within walking distance.

Here are some shops and stops to make in this historic, and what some say is a haunted,mining town:

Haunted Hamburger When you first arrive in Jerome from Route 89A, you'll notice this wonderful house-turned-burger joint on your right. Not only does this place feature delicious chargrilled hamburgers, hot dogs, steak fries and chunks of pie, but it also has a patio overlooking a valley. The patio is cramped and creaky, intended to be a home, not a restaurant, but that's what makes it so wonderful.

If you have to wait for a seat outside, wait. It's worth it. While you bite into your “haunted” burger, you'll overlook Verde Valley, staring into the eyes of the snow-covered San Francisco Peaks.

The burgers are a bit pricey, with an average price of $9, but they are huge and hearty and will keep you full for your whole visit. If not, there's an ice-cream shop along Main Street for some reasonably priced dessert.

Holy Family Catholic Church The next building you will notice on your right, after your nose notices the scent of chargrilled hamburgers, is this tiny, dilapidated Catholic church. Every time I have been there, the doors are open, so you can just walk right on in.

The experience is that much more cool and maybe even creepy if you stop in when other visitors aren’t there.

You can sign the guest book and take a look at those who have come before you. Then you can walk around and explore on your own. Granted, the stairs that lead to the upper level are gated off, but will tempt you to find a way up there.

Then there are the confession booths that hold buffs of priests. You can sit in the confession booths, which I personally found fascinating since I have only been to a Catholic church only once or twice in my life.

It is quiet, solemn and somber.  It almost feels like you could be on the set of a movie if you use your imagination.

Nellie Bly Kaleidoscopes and Art Glass This is gallery full of kaleidoscopes and art glass where everyone is invited to come in and take a look. Well, not just look — the staff will encourage you to touch the kaleidoscopes, the dainty desserts made out of glass, a glass globe that appears to be spinning on its own and much more.

The gallery is small, but packed with intricate, unique art. No kaleidoscope is the same. There are some that you can fit in the palm of your hand and others that demand a table of their own.

You can spend as much time in there as you want without feeling the pressure to buy anything. It is a “please touch” shop that will entertain you and leave your eyes spinning with beautiful glass.

Knit 1 Bead 2 If you love crafts and jewelry, you will fall in love with this shop. There are racks and racks with a rainbow full of colored yarn. Your mind will swell with creativity and you can pick up a couple spools without breaking your bank.

The jewelry on the other hand … now that may do some damage.

Either way, it's another playground for inspirational thinking and costs nothing to just stop in and browse.

The Liberty Theatre

This theatre is historical and fun. One part is a cinema museum where you can check out colossal, ancient cameras and other equipment that went into the movie-making process of yester years.

The other part is a functioning theater where you can experience a film as you would have in the 1920s. That will cost you some money, so you can peer up the stairs to the theatre or dish out some cash and run up those stairs and watch an old flick.

There is also the gift shop. I know, every museum has them, but this gift shop will give you laughs and memories without a purchase.

There are life-sized models of Elvis, James Dean, Betty Boop and more. Grab your friends, take a pose, and then take a picture. There's your souvenir.

The Jerome Winery For wine aficionados, please your palate at this local winery in a historic town. You don't have to be a wine expert to enjoy it — it's made for everyone.

The vintner John Michael has more than 30 wines and offers snacks to go along with the tasting, which is only $8. The labels are interesting and carry a story themselves. Each one has a portrait of family members of the winery.

The bottles can get expensive, but if you can at least get a taste and talk to locals, you can still get the full experience.

Mine Museum If you really want to get into the history of this old mining town, you can tour this museum for only $2. You will find artifacts that range from old milk bottles and newspapers to mining equipment such as cages and “potty cars.”

For only a couple bucks, why not stop in and learn something about this little old town?

Contact reporter at mfidura@asu.edu

×