Spark'd TV: A League of Their Own

Photo courtesy of FX Network.
Photo courtesy of FX Network.

My taste in television has shifted slightly in these last few months. I find myself watching more and more “bro comedies” as I like to call them—television shows which a large male following, typically of the comedic genre. Maybe it is the fact that I live with four boys, but these kinds of shows have grown on me. A perfect example of such a genre would be FX Network’s The League.

The League follows a group of long-time friends Pete, Ruxin, Taco, Kevin, Andre, and Jenny who bond over their rivalry created by fantasy football. The best part about the relationship between the characters is that they’re always at each other’s throats, whether it be rigging the fantasy draft or playing pranks on Andre by making him play the flute to passersbys.

The latest Thanksgiving episode shows Ruxin’s father, played by Jeff Goldblum, showing up unexpectedly for Thanksgiving. Sarah Silverman makes an appearance as Andre’s sister, who shows up and is “on the prowl” at the group’s Thanksgiving dinner.

The upcoming episode, airing Dec. 1, features a guest appearance by Will Forte (MacGruber, SNL), who is one of the members of the fantasy league, but lives out of town. However, upon visiting, he is much different than they remember. Also, Kevin and Jenny get themselves in trouble as they find the hardships attached when dealing with a local drug dealer.

However, though the episodes are filled with jokes akin to a teenage boy’s sense of humor, I find it interesting that the show is actually written by a husband and wife duo by the names of Jeff Schaffer and Jackie Marcus Schaffer. Jeff Schaffer is best known for his work writing for Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld, and Jackie Marcus Schaffer is best known for her writing in Eurotrip. Together, this couple has the art of the “bro comedy” down to a tee.

On the homepage of the show’s site fans of the show can also keep track of their fantasy league and discuss players, stats, and standings. In this “Fantasy Dashboard”, one can chat with other viewers, ask questions regarding fantasy football, and follow a weekly updated list of most valuable players.

Are you a fan of the League? Are you falling for the humor of “bro comedies”? Email mlkelle3@asu.edu for all questions and comments.

×