Spark'd TV: Meet the Bravermans

All in the family. Photo courtesy of IMDb.com.

If your family is anything like mine, when you go home for the holidays, you are subject to their television tastes. However, my faith has been restored in my family’s television taste with their newest show Parenthood. Usually I scoff at their drama TV shows like Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, or reruns on the Lifetime channel. This Thanksgiving weekend, I watched Parenthood, and was pleasantly surprised with how much the drama wasn’t obviously scripted, but rather realistic and heart-warming.

I was hesitant at first because the only role I could ever see Lauren Graham play is Lorelai on Gilmore Girls. Although her character, Sarah, has similar maternal structure, the character is far more serious, dealing with issues such as her ex-husband’s rehab necessities, a rebellious daughter and an overly cautious and sensitive son.

The show is set up, like its title suggests, revolving around the Bravermans. Zeek and Camille are the father and mother to Sarah, Adam, Crosby, and Julia. They, in turn, have families of their own that the show revolves around. Adam is the first-born, with a wife and two kids, Crosby is the “happy-go-lucky bachelor living in the now,” and Julia is a successful lawyer with a stay-at-home husband. As IMDb states, “Each family will face their own challenges, but how they propose to deal with them is what will keep them together or tear them apart.”

Tuesday’s newest episode follows Kristina who is so busy at work, that she misses several missed phone calls regarding Max’s disappearance in a bad part of town. Also, Crosby’s drama with his lover Jasmine continues, despite telling Jabbar that the wedding is off. Meanwhile, Sarah and Mark think deeper about their future, and look at adopting agencies, despite earlier in the season finding a woman at work who was looking to get rid of her child.

I always love the guest appearance NBC is able to provide their shows with. Earlier in the season, Cee Lo Green made an appearance as himself, doing a recording session in Crosby’s studio. Also, in upcoming episodes, Courtney Ford, known for her role in HBO’s True Blood, will be cast as a recurring character named Lily, who will be in the show until the season finale on Feb. 28, 2012.

Are you hooked on NBC’s family drama Parenthood? Send me any questions or comments at mlkelle3@asu.edu.

×