Spark'd TV: Motherly Love

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
"Tick, Tick, Tick..." -- OSC of the CBS series HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, scheduled to air on the CBS Television. Photo: Eric McCandless/Fox

After leaving America shocked last week, this week’s episode of How I Met Your Mother picked up where it left off, with Barney and Robin in a very big predicament. The unexpected relationship between Robin and Barney is quite shocking, and some people even say it rules out Nora, Barney’s girlfriend, as the possible narrator’s bride. If you’re not familiar with the show, the narrator, named Ted, is telling his son and daughter the events that led to him meeting their mother.

Unfortunately for Barney, even though he breaks up with Nora, Robin decides to stay with Kevin.  Am I the only one that sees this as such a waste? The only reason Ted ended his somewhat friends-with-benefits situation with Robin was when he discovered Barney had feelings for her.

Another thing that had me perplexed was why Kevin didn’t want to know what happened with Robin. Sure, he said it was because of his “therapy” experience, but I hardly think that he’s doing the best thing by just denying anything happened and moving on from that point forward. Can any die-hard fans give their input on this one?

Also, at the end, when Ted sees Barney cleaning up Robin’s room, he doesn’t even try to comfort him or talk about it. And it seems I’m not the only one perplexed by the storyline. It only takes a few scrolls on the How I Met Your Mother hashtag on Tumblr to see that fans are equally outraged with Robin’s decision.

Despite the never-ending plot twists in this great show, I think everyone can agree it is first and foremost one of the best comedies on TV. The Emmy award-winning show has launched Jason Segal, Neil Patrick Harris, and the whole cast into stardom. Known for his role as Doogie Howser, M.D., Harris has been the most affected by stardom, with a fan base to back it up (yes, 2,091,134 currently following on Twitter). Segal, previously known for his work in Freaks and Geeks has become quite the silver screen actor, starring in I Love You, Man, Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall and many more.

For those of you who religiously follow the story of How I Met Your Mother, I’d love to hear your theories about who the mother could be. Or, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to email mlkelle3@asu.edu.

×