Spark'd TV: What to Watch

Smash is coming to a screen near you. Photo courtesy of IMDB.com.

As the semester nears its end, it is important to know what to look out for when you’re spending endless hours at home during the holidays. The new year brings new, exciting shows that I’m particularly excited about. Here is your guide to the new prospects (in no particular order):

Smash Starring American Idol winner Katharine McPhee and Emmy Award-winning Debra Messing, another one of NBC’s new shows looks more than promising. Then again, I’m a sucker for anything with a musical number, but combined with the Marilyn Monroe genre and the impeccable ‘50s era attire, this show is sure to be a knockout. The season premiere is Monday after the Super Bowl. 

Are You There Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea. Based on the best-selling book by Chelsea Handler, NBC has adopted this new show starring Laura Prepon from That 70’s Show. It revolves around Chelsea, a bartender in search of a good time, a lot of booze, and no regrets. After she gives up driving due to a recent DUI, she rents an apartment 115 feet away from the bar where she works. The show follows her shenanigans at home and at work. The season premiere is Wednesday, Jan. 11.

Apartment 23 ABC describes their new midseason show with these words: “After a naïve Midwestern girl's big city dreams are dashed in her first week in New York, she finds herself living with her worst nightmare in this hilarious, contemporary comedy about a female odd couple who are surrounded by an outrageous cast of characters.” However, these words don’t quite do justice the positive reviews it has been getting (for example here). Starring James Van Der Beek and Krysten Ritter, and unfortunately, ABC is still unsure when it is airing

Baseball Wives I know this sounds terrible and superficial, but yes, I am excited for Baseball Wives, airing Nov. 30, at 9 p.m. on VH1. I won’t even provide explanation here because I’m sure you get the gist of the storyline.

Work It This shows official synopsis could draw anyone in for more. A pair of manly men, fed up with the “mancession,, dress as women in order to get jobs at their pharmaceutical corporation. Starring Rochelle Aytes, John Caparulo and Kirstin Eggers, the show, premiering Jan. 3, will be sure to turn heads.

As always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me at mlkelle3@asu.edu. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

×