As leaves turn and styles change, beer taps are switched and new seasonal ingredients are used in breweries around the world, producing new flavors for connoisseurs and social drinkers alike to enjoy and celebrate the time of year.

Brown ales, pumpkin ales, Oktoberfest beers, Dunkelweizens, Marzens, English IPAs and harvest-style beers dominate this season with roasted flavors such as allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon that bring about the taste of fall.

The list below is based on great fall beers that can be found easily at local stores and breweries - enjoy!

Four Peaks Pumpkin Stout

A favorite mark of the seasonal change on the local scene, this mahogany-colored brew is served with a thin head. It has an aroma full of pumpkin, nutmeg and a toasty malt undertone that doesn’t stray far from the initial taste of the beer. Creamy, smooth and mid-bodied, the beer goes down with the initial taste of pumpkin pie spice; as it strays, the cinnamon and nutmeg follow the flavor through. A great dark beer for those looking for something seasonal and different, as the pumpkin is an accent and not overpowering.

Breckenridge Autumn Ale

This rich, dark-colored, pre-winter warmer provides that warm fuzzy feeling all over. A full-bodied caramel malt flavor that hints at traditional Oktoberfest flavors, the roasted malt flavors highlight this brew, giving it an overall heavier mouth feel with a definite coffee aftertaste.

Lakefront Oktoberfest

This beer captures the traditional German flavor of the season. It’s brewed with Munich malt in Wisconsin, where German culture stands strong. The brew achieves a balanced bitterness; it’s light, clean and smooth with subtle floral hops.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Pumpkin pie lovers rejoice! The only thing this beer is missing is a topping of whipped cream. Although the pumpkin pie flavors may seem a bit overwhelming for those not expecting it, it has a very light, crisp, traditional taste that works great as a seasonal treat.

Samuel Adams Oktoberfest

Rich, clean and crisp, this copper-colored beer is creamy and smooth. This beer is a great American spin on a German classic, and thus a great first step for people trying to broaden their beer-palate horizon. Sam Adams is sold everywhere, easy to find and an affordable price for most college students.

Though they may be a bit harder to find, don’t let the season pass without trying these fall favorites:

Weihenstephaner “Festbier”-Marzen/ Oktoberfest

New Belgium “Dunkelweiss”-Hefeweissbier

Sierra Nevada “Torpedo”-American IPA

Buffalo Bill’s “Pumpkin Ale”-Pumpkin Ale

Shock Top “Pumpkin Wheat”-Pumpkin Wheat

Three Floyds “Munsterfest”-Marzen/ Oktoberfest

Ayinger “Oktober Fest-Märzen”-Bavarian Dunkel Wheat Beer

Devil’s Backbone Brewing “Tommy Two Fists”-Dortmunder/ Export Lager

BJ’s Brewery and Restaurant “Pumpkin Ale” (local)-Pumpkin Ale

Dogfishhead “Indian Brown” and “Punkin Ale”-Brown Ale, Pumpkin Ale

Kona Brewing “Pipeline Porter”-Porter

Magic Hat Hex “Oktoberfest”-Marzen/ Oktoberfest

Shmaltz Brewing Company “Coney Island Freaktoberfest”-American Amber/ Red Lager

Abita “Pecan Harvest”-American Brown Ale

Sixpoint "Autumnation"-Pumpkin Ale

Reach the reporter at alsavage@asu.edu

×