Urban Culture Vulture: Giving Thanks: Why Stop Now?

Taking part in Gawai Dayak customs can be a mid-year celebration of gratitude for you. Photo courtesy of Deck the Holidays.

Three days after Thanksgiving I’m sure most of you are thinking, ‘How can Thanksgiving be over? I still have so much thanks to give!’ I know, it can be hard to contain your gratitude until next November. While waiting for next year’s holiday, here are other cultures’ celebrations you can observe in the meantime:

Sukkot Beginning the fifth day after Yom Kippur, the Israeli holiday honors the 40-year trek through the desert. Also known as the Festival of Ingathering, Feast of Booths, or Harvest Holiday, it’s a time for people to thank the gods for a bountiful harvest and to pray for rain in the coming year. Though the most festive day is the first, the holiday lasts for a week, and on each day of the festival, worshippers walk around the synagogue carrying their four species of plants while reciting a psalm and special prayers known as Hoshanot. Food is served in the sukkah, which is a temporary hut built for the occasion that also houses Orthodox families for the week.

Gawai Dayak Celebrated by the Dayak people in Sarawak, Malaysia on June 1 every year, Gawai Dayak is a relatively new holiday though it celebrates ancient traditions. One ritual that’s performed is Muai Antu Rua, which wards off greedy spirits. During this, two people carry a chapan (basket) from room to room for people to throw unwanted articles into. Then at midnight, people take part in Ngalu Petara, a procession for welcoming the spirit gods. And of course, people are having traditional drinks, delicacies, and desserts throughout the entire day.

Erntedankfest This German festival is celebrated with a special church service on the first Sunday of October. Displays of fruit, vegetables, grains, and breads are set up before the altar as symbols of gratitude to God, but each area celebrates the holiday differently. In wine growing regions, the people celebrate with cider, wine, food, and dancing when the last grapes have been picked. In the Alpine regions, grain is traditionally brought into barns on big wagons pulled by decorated oxen. Each place usually weaves an ernekrone (harvest crown) from wheat or vines.  Afterwards, gifts are often distributed to homeless shelters or other charities.

I hope these other holidays give you an outlet for all of your appreciation.

If you have any suggestions for what I should check out next, email me at Mary.G.Richardson@asu.edu or follow me on Twitter at @MG_Richardson

×