I’ll begin this column with a few questions. Where do we draw the line between a fan and a super-fan? What is the inherent difference between casually liking an actor or musician, and becoming completely entrenched and engrossed in every aspect of their lives? When it comes to our favorite celebrities, what makes us so obsessed?

These questions cannot be answered without first understanding what it is about certain celebrities that makes even the most initially undercover and unassuming fans develop such obsessions.

You can probably find some mundane, verbose definition of “obsession” in any psychology book. However, it might lack an adequate cultural context of what it means to be obsessed with our favorite singers, boy bands and movie stars. And before coming to any conclusion, we must first ascertain exactly what it means to be a super-fan.

A variation of the super-fan, the fan girl, is crudely defined by Urban Dictionary, as “a very shallow female who is only a fan of someone or something (an actor/band/athlete) because she wants to stare at cute guys and she dreams about having sex with them.”

Although this frank definition is pretty much spot on (especially in my case and with too many singers to mention), there is more to being a super-fan or fan girl than just liking someone for their extremely good looks.

Perhaps it is the voyeuristic nature of Hollywood that makes it easier to become obsessed. It almost provides an escape. The fact that so many celebrities are so accessible in the media and constantly at the forefront of the pop culture zeitgeist makes it all too simple to fixate on every aspect of their personal lives.

But according to Psychology Today, the reason behind some people’s complete and utter fascination with celebs is because “…they are an integral part of culture. They have made it in the worldview we are so entrenched in. By worshipping them (to an extent), we feel as if we are participating in this hugely important cause/belief system. And that makes us feel all warm and fuzzy, and like our life matters (and in turn, death doesn't sting as much).”

That logic, paired with the Hollywood glitz and glamour and mostly sheer attractiveness of certain superstars is what makes me obsessed.

But celebrity infatuation doesn’t have to be a negative, superficial thing. My obsessions with Rihanna and Big Time Rush will have me enthusiastically supporting and advocating their music for probably the rest of my super-fan life. My man crushes on Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans will always have me going out to see their films.

Don’t let the undesirable stigma of being obsessed stop you from humbly showing off your true stripes, or that $50 dollar concert tee you just absolutely had to have. There’s no shame in yelling, at the top of your lungs, “I’m a fan, and I’m proud!”

Reach the columnist at jermac@asu.edu

×