The phrase “one man’s trash is another’s treasure” is the prefect description for football coaches.

Like the players they teach, coaches in the NFL have short life expectancies with the teams they operate.

If a coach loses, he is told to pack his bags. If he wins, he gets a first-class ticket to the best available job.

In a bizarre coaching swap last week, the Atlanta Falcons and Jacksonville Jaguars exchanged offensive minds.

Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey accepted the vacant head coaching position with the Jaguars.

Just days after the Falcons season ended, Jaguars offensive coordinator and former ASU coach Dirk Koetter left the Jaguars to become the Falcons offensive coordinator.

Elsewhere, Buccaneers coach and 2010 NFL Coach of the Year Raheem Morris was canned after a disastrous 2011 campaign. The Washington Redskins pounced on the opportunity and hired Morris as a defensive assistant.

The Rams fired head coach Steve Spagnuolo on “Black Monday” and he is also rumored to land elsewhere in the league.

The constant pressure of immediately winning gives coaches less time than ever to operate.

These changes leave us wondering if the teams gave their coaches a fair shake.

Reach the reporter at jjanssen@asu.edu

×