Those who are able to find comedy in the pursuit of that special someone better prepare themselves for CBS’s new Thursday night primetime show “Rob.”

Rob Schneider from “Saturday Night Live” and various Happy Madison film productions stars alongside Claudia Bassols and Cheech Marin in this comical look into the complexities of love, marriage and in-laws.

Schneider plays a landscape architect named Rob, although his newly inherited mother-in-law refers to him as a “gardener.” Rob must endure meeting most of his wife’s family for the first time after the two got married in Las Vegas on a whim.

His father-in-law (Marin) tries to give Rob a chance, but in the end, Rob receives subtle (and not so subtle) torment.

Much is tested as Rob tries to gain the approval of his wife’s Mexican-American family. As his wife’s uncle tells him, “They hate you, they really hate you.”

Considering a few of Schneider’s roles from the past, such as “Deuce Bigalow” and “The Hot Chick,” his characters rarely seem appropriate for a primetime timeslot. However, CBS does a wonderful job of sticking to a tried and true formula for comedic sitcoms, while also pushing limits.

Perhaps what works best with “Rob” is that CBS is allowing Schneider to perform something other than an overly animated one-lined character who for so long has defined Schneider on both television and film.

He is actually acting, and believe it or not, he is really good. The truth of the matter is that CBS gives audiences a character — and show, to enjoy.

In the end, love conquers all (or so we hope). “Rob” serves as a reminder that amidst family drama and chaos, there is plenty to laugh about and appreciate. The first episode premieres Jan. 12 at 6:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu

×