Wake Devils Ride to the Top

Photo courtesy Cole Kraiss.
Photo courtesy Cole Kraiss.

Zipping along behind a speedboat with water, wind and teammates fueling their success, the ASU Wake Devils are not the typical college sports team.

Water sports aren't something most people consider when thinking of land-locked Arizona — but the Wake Devils wakeboarding team is making a national name for themselves.

Ranked No. 1 in the nation for Empire Wake, the Wake Devils will be competing in two national competitions, both for Empire Wake and the Collegiate Wakeboard Association.

Empire Wake, a division of the Collegiate Wakeboard Series, and the Collegiate Wakeboard Association, a division of the Alt Games, are the two biggest wakeboarding leagues in the nation. The top 16 teams compete in these national competitions.

This year Empire Wake will be hosting nationals in Las Vegas at the end of April, and the Alt Games will be held in Oklahoma City at the end of May. Needless to say, the team is stoked.

“None of us know what to expect, but we’re getting better and better,” says R. J. Pabon, team manager and business administration sophomore.

Started in 2010 by Ryan Platt, team president and business management junior, the Wake Devils expanded from a one-man band to a 26-member strong team in just one season. Introduced to the sport by water-skiing parents, Platt “instantly fell in love.”

Wakeboarding has been his passion since the age of 8, and Platt's 12 years of dedication and experience has led the young team into the top tier of its division — an accomplishment every athlete dreams of.

“It used to be just me competing because it was so expensive,” Platt says.  “My parents have been super supportive. The first year they let me bring their boat down so I could train.”

After recruiting on campus and through Facebook, the team attracted a lot of attention from sponsors, including Monster Energy, Bomb Wake, Action Water Sports and more. But the new gear, new sponsors and hopes of a new team boat, however exciting, are nothing compared to the new talent the team landed.

Chelsea Clark, a chemical engineering sophomore, is one of three girls who rides with the team and uses her boat for team practice.

“We have a lot of really good riders,” Clark says. “Right now I’m trying to push myself really hard to compete at the same level (as the guys).”

Pushing hard and channeling passion is exactly what it takes to keep up with the Wake Devils. Their itinerary last semester represented a huge commitment and included competitions in Washington, Tampa and Chico, Calif. Even with nationals so far away, the team is still enthusiastic to travel and compete.

“Travel and homework is hard,” Clark says. “But it's such a positive sport, I really like to compete.”

Balancing training, traveling, expenses and school is a heavy burden for college students, but the Wake Devils manage to pull it off.

“All the people have been super dedicated.  Money has not been an issue.  Everyone makes it work,” Platt says.

And work they do.

In preparation for nationals, the team drives about an hour to practice on Lake Saguaro or Lake Bartlett at least twice a week. They even tried to set up similar class schedules this semester so they could spend as much time on the water together as possible.

Though their dedication and number one ranking can be daunting to the novice, but the Wake Devils welcome new riders.

“That's the great part about collegiate wakeboarding. It's supportive of all levels of riders. We accept anyone who is willing to travel to competitions,” Platt says.

With national competition in only a few months, the Wake Devils’ determination and excitement is apparent in their voices. As the 2011 Team of the Year, they have already shown that they can make waves, but they are eager to do more.

“This is our first year as a real team and we want to prove that we’re number one, ” Pabon says.

Contact the reporter at klhwang@asu.edu

×