Women’s basketball looks to maintain momentum at home

Deja Mann dribbles up the court in a game against USC on Jan. 5. Mann and the Sun Devils hope to maintain their momentum as they return home. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Some time away can help.

After losing their last two games at home, the ASU women’s basketball team regained some confidence on the court against Oregon. The Sun Devils now look to regain their home-court confidence when they host Colorado and Utah this weekend.

ASU has a hard time finding its offensive stroke this season. Coach Joseph Anders emphasized the importance of realizing the team’s best skills.

“At some point in the process, in the journey of a team, you have to embrace who you are,” Anders said. “What we are is a really, really good defensive basketball club. The offense still hasn’t turned to the degree that I’d like to see it, but you cannot discount what you do well.”

The Sun Devils defense stepped up to the challenge last weekend when they faced Oregon. The Ducks average 76.3 points per game this season, but ASU’s defense stifled the Ducks to just 49 points in the game.

Junior guard Deja Mann said the team was happy with their defensive effort after the Oregon game.

“It does give us some confidence because they put such an emphasis on offense,” Mann said. “It is always fun holding a team like that because it takes them out of their game.”

ASU’s defense will have to compete again this weekend when the Sun Devils face the two newest teams in the Pac-12: Colorado and Utah. Both teams have high-powered offenses. The Buffaloes average 65.9 points per game, and the Utes average 60.4.

Because Colorado and Utah are new, ASU has not competed against them as often as other Pac-12 teams.

However, due to advanced scouting reports in this day and age, Anders has confidence in his team’s preparation.

“At this point in the year, with scouting and the video tape exchange that we do with the Pac-12, trust me — we’ve seen enough tape on both teams,” Anders said.

Colorado has had a strong season with only three losses, going undefeated in non-conference play.

The team also competed well in Pac-12 play so far, beating Washington State and Utah.

Thursday’s game will be another defensive challenge for ASU. One CU player in particular, junior guard Chucky Jeffery, should challenge the Sun Devils’ defense. He averages 16.3 points per game.

Utah has struggled this season, especially on the road. The Utes have only won one away game this season.

Offensively, Anders will look for freshman forward Jada Blackwell to continue her offensive success. Blackwell has been one of the more consistent scorers for the Sun Devils with a team-leading 50 percent shooting percentage.

After two losses at home against USC and UCLA, junior guard Michaela Pickens said the team’s defense is the key for the team win this weekend at home. She hopes to carry the momentum from their past win back to Tempe.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×