Escobedo, Wigness propel Sun Devils to victories over Blue Devils

Dallas Escobedo pitches in the Littlewood Classic on Feb. 17. Escobedo threw her first no-hitter of the season during the Sun Devils’ sweep of Central Connecticut State University last weekend. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

In four games against Central Connecticut State, the No. 4 ASU softball team didn’t let its opponent reach the sixth inning.

Ending games early by way of the eight-run mercy rule — which goes into effect once the teams reach the fifth inning — has become a bit of a habit for the Sun Devils (14-2).

Sophomore pitcher Dallas Escobedo (5-1), who won games on Friday and Sunday, noted that even though the team uses a three-man rotation, it is still extremely beneficial to end games early.

“It cuts down on all the stress and worries as a pitcher,” Escobedo said.

Her best performance came Friday as she pitched the first no-hitter for the team this season. Her no-hit bid included nine strikeouts in five innings pitched.

Sophomore pitcher Mackenzie Popescue (3-1) had almost as good of a weekend. Popescue shut out CCSU in the first game Saturday and allowed only three hits in five innings of work.

Though she finished strong, the sophomore from Chaparral High School looked a bit uncomfortable in the early going by letting up two hits and a walk in the first inning, which she attributed to thinking too much about the umpire’s ball and strike decisions.

Fortunately for Popescue, sophomore Bailey Wigness had her back, throwing out CCSU sophomore Arielle Bruno at the plate in the first inning.

Wigness, who assistant coach Scott Woodard said has been “unconscious” at the plate, continued her strong season, accruing three hits in six at bats with six walks this weekend.

However, it was the position she played — third base — that might cause the most stir.

Before the four games this weekend, coach Clint Myers said there was a possibility of moving senior outfielder Annie Lockwood to the infield to strengthen the lineup.

“Our practices are pretty structured and organized to get a nice blend of infield and outfield,” Myers said.

Wigness had some trouble adjusting to third base, but Lockwood fit right in at first.

Lockwood came in to get a handful of bunts and looked very comfortable at the position, despite playing right field for most of her Sun Devil career.

“A lot of people don’t know, but I came into the program playing first base and third base in high school,” Lockwood said.

Despite saying the pitchers kept her off balance and were “surprisingly better than what she expected” coming into the weekend, Lockwood recorded a hit every single game.

Aggressive base running also played a major role for the ASU offense, as whenever a throw would get away from a CCSU player, the Sun Devils wouldn’t hesitate at taking another base.

“That’s something we practice each and every day,” Woodard said.

With their aggressive mentality on the base paths, the Sun Devils built up large leads early on and could afford to give some playing time to members of the team that don’t usually get on the field.

Myers subbed six straight pinch hitters during Saturday’s first game.

Woodard commented on the uniqueness of the occurrence.

“There is not another team in the country, at least that I’ve seen, that can have a 25-player roster,” Woodard said.

Reach the reporter at jjmckelv@asu.edu

×