Live and Otherwise: fun. at Zia Records

fun. performs at Zia Records in Chandler. Photo by Gabby Marshall.

So it finally happens: The day arrives when it’s time for that special record to be released after months of waiting in anticipation. The best part is when the release is supplemented by a live performance or signing. When musicians care enough to spend that special release with their loyal fans that have been there all along, it shows that they really do appreciate the support of their listeners. So fun.’s acoustic in-store performance last Wednesday night was a treat for their local following.

Having waited in line for most of the day (there was even a tent set up) the multitudes gathered around Zia Records Chandler to partake in the record festivities. The line literally wrapped around the building. Though who purchased the album or had a limited-release fun. button pin had priority to be in front of everyone else. People tried to keep their patience for the main event. By the time I had gotten to the entrance of the store, there was only room for twenty more people allowed in and they had to purchase the album. Suffice it to say I took my chance and bought it to ensure my spot; I probably would have sold my left kidney at that point. But finally I crossed the threshold and was able to enter. What was the first thing that greeted me? Racks. Racks of CDs, movies and, of course, records, all of which stood in front of my view of the stage. Finally I squeezed myself into a nook near the comedy section of DVDs and prepared my camera for the fun fabulousness about to unfold.

About 20 minutes later, fun. strolled out from the backroom of Zia. Starting out with “Some Nights (intro)” and then lapsing into a few old and new tracks, the acoustic sound was wonderful, but it was somewhat difficult to hear over the din of the crowded store. Playing for a good 45 minutes, the boys’ performance was short and sweet, with no wasted time in between. It rapidly turned into a sing-along as the eager group of patrons seemed to know every verse by heart, new or old. One of the best performances was “The Gambler,” especially considering the people the song is dedicated to made an appearance (lead singer Nate Reuss’ parents). Aside from relatively minor things (like the set up), fun. did what they do best: connect with their fans.

Fun. is on their North American Tour, for information see their website.

×