Promise, Prince Amukamara set sights on championships

Promise Amukamara performs a layup in a game against Washington State on Jan. 26. Amukamara will be cheering for her brother Prince, cornerback for the New York Giants, in Super Bowl XLVI. (Photo courtesy of Steve Rodriguez)

Freshman guard Promise Amukamara will not be in Indianapolis this weekend, but she will definitely be rooting for the New York Giants.

Promise’s older brother Prince Amukamara plays cornerback for the Giants and is competing in Super Bowl XLVI during his rookie season.

Promise talked to her older brother about the whole experience.

“I am so excited for him,” she said. “Every time we talk on the phone, he is just telling how unreal it is and how exciting it is to play.”

Prince was a standout running back at Apollo High School in Glendale. He went to play at Nebraska where he switched to cornerback and was drafted No. 19 overall in last year’s draft.

Promise said there is always a little sibling rivalry in the Amukamara house. She said if Prince gets a Super Bowl ring, she is going to have to step up and get a Pac-12 championship.

“His achievements always overshadowed mine since I have been in high school,” Promise said. “It’s going to be a competition.”

Prince tried to get Promise a ticket, but with the Cal game on Saturday, it was impossible for Promise to make the trip to Indianapolis and be back in time for Monday's classes.

Coach John Anders joked that he might have asked Promise for tickets if they didn’t have the Cal game.

“That’s pretty awesome that you have a player in your family that’s … actually competing at the highest level, in the championship game,” Anders said. “It doesn’t get any better than that.”

Promise said the team is getting together Sunday to watch her big brother play.

Working for success

The Sun Devils are on a five-game winning streak, ranked second in the Pac-12 and have a chance to upset the No. 1 team in the conference this weekend.

ASU is in a good position to prove they are the best team in the conference.

Anders said the team has worked for all the success they’ve achieved this season.

“They understand that the only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary,” Anders said. “That’s what it is about. They have worked themselves in this position.”

Anders said the team continues to show its work ethic as they prepare for Stanford this week.

Injury Report

Injuries are bad news in the short term, but there is some good news in the long run for junior forward Joy Burke and freshman guard Eliza Normen.

Burke is still suffering from a concussion and Normen is recovering from a quad injury earlier this year.

Both players are able to redshirt this season and gain another year of eligibility.

Anders said redshirt junior guard Haley Parsons is still suffering from her concussion, but is close to being medically cleared.

All three players were seen shooting in practice Tuesday.

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×