Todd Graham emphasizes character in first recruiting class

Todd Graham announces the 2012 recruiting class for the ASU football program Wednesday. Two local products, running back D.J. Foster and defensive lineman Jaxon Hood, headline the class. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

Recruiting grades are often distributed after looking at the number of four and five-star commitments to any given school. A school’s ability to fill positional needs is also evaluated, but these on-field attributes are not always the best way to evaluate talent.

As first year ASU coach Todd Graham announced his first Sun Devil recruiting class, he stressed the importance of finding high character, high quality individuals rather than guys who offered nothing but talent.

“We’re looking for disciplined guys,” Graham said. “We’re not just looking at film and looking to take players just based on talent.”

[Audio: Todd Graham's Press Conference]

While talent equates to strong recruiting grades and also pleases the fan base, it does not always equate to the best class, as low-character kids often run the risk of being ruled ineligible for various reasons.

Graham emphasizes the importance of quality over quantity because high character guys are less likely to find themselves in trouble as they are often more coachable and tend to work harder.

“We’re looking for young men that are unique,” Graham said. “We’re looking for young men that have great character. We’re looking for guys that see themselves as smart and understand that what they do academically is going to last a lifetime. We want to put the smartest team on the field in the Pac-12.”

Part of the reason Graham wants to change the culture at ASU and ensure future Sun Devil football teams are full of discipline is because he is a parent.

Recruiting is not only about football, but it is also about relationships and trust. While the player is the one who actually signs a National Letter of Intent to play football, the parents are entrusting the care of their son to a coaching staff.

As a father of six, Graham has the ability to relate to families and knows what parents are looking for when choosing a new home for their sons.

Graham admitted building relationships in a short period of time was a challenge he and his staff faced. However, he feels the commitment of D.J. Foster, the No. 2 player in the state according to Rivals.com, was a “giant leap” and showed just how well the program is doing at building relationships.

“I wish I could have videoed that announcement with our staff because it addressed a lot of questions about trust,” Graham said of Foster’s Jan. 27 pledge to ASU at Saguaro High School. “D.J. believing in us, believing in what we were trying to do (considering) where we were when we got here and where we finished was absolutely remarkable. It makes a statement. We were trying to chip away so that we can get the best and the brightest in the state.”

Since the day he arrived on the Tempe campus, Graham has preached discipline, character and hard work. While those three words and phrases helped him win over the fans in his introductory press conference, Graham’s ability to consistently recruit and translate these beliefs into wins is what will keep the fans coming back.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×