The top three Pac-12 women’s basketball teams will compete in Wells Fargo Arena this weekend.

ASU, ranked No. 2 in the Pac-12, will face No. 1 Stanford on Thursday and No. 3 Cal on Saturday.

It is a big weekend for ASU women’s basketball (15–5, 6–3 Pac-12), as the team has a chance to ascend to the top of the conference.

“We are going to get the chance to see where we are at,” senior guard Olivia Major said. “We are going in there with the intentions and idea that we are going to win this game. We are looking to prove ourselves this week.”

Stanford (18–1, 9–0 Pac-12) has been the consistent powerhouse in the Pac-12 over the last two decades. This year is no different.

The Cardinal come into their matchup against ASU ranked No. 4 in the country. Their only loss was to No. 3 Connecticut.

The Cardinal average the most points per game in the Pac-12 with 78.7.

Coach Joseph Anders said limiting Stanford’s opportunities to score will be the key to the game.

“Nothing can be easy,” Anders said. “You have got to make sure that you limit their second shots. It has got to be one and done. You let them pound the offensive glass, it is a tough day for you.”

Anders said the higher scoring the game is, the harder it is to beat the Cardinal.

The Sun Devils’ focus is on the defensive side of the ball.

“We are not going to try and change our defensive philosophy because it’s Stanford,” Anders said. “What we’re trying to do is be better at what we do defensively and then put our hard work on the floor against their hard work and see whose is the best.”

There are two reasons why Stanford puts up so many points. Both reasons have the same last name.

The Cardinal feature two frontcourt sisters that have dominated the conference this season.

Senior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike and sophomore forward Chiney Ogwumike lead the team in scoring.

Nnemkadi averages 22.3 points per game and Chiney puts up 15.6. They combine to score about 48 percent of the team’s points.

“(They are) fun to watch in that it is always nice to see siblings play together and be just so gifted and so graceful in everything that they do on and off the floor,” Anders said. “As a player and a coach, it is a fun time because you want to compete against the very best and they’re absolutely the best.”

Cal (15–6, 6–3 Pac-12) offers similar challenges for ASU, as the Golden Bears are another high scoring team. They are ranked 3rd in the conference, averaging 70.4 points per game.

Unlike Stanford, Cal’s leading scorer comes from the guard position. Junior guard Layshia Clarendon averages 11.2 points per game.

Stanford and Cal offer a strong challenge for ASU, but freshman guard Promise Amukamara and the rest of the team believe they are up to the test.

“I know people are thinking that Stanford is going to come (out on) top,” Amukamara said. “We are just going to have to work hard on Thursday and … just keep doing what we did before to get wins.”

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×