Digital Bookmobile visits Tempe Public Library

High-definition monitors and PC’s connected to broadband Internet filled an 18-wheeled, 74-foot tall tractor trailer turned digital library, which made its stop again this year at the Tempe Public Library Thursday.

The Digital Bookmobile provides a free and interactive approach for Tempe residents of all ages to learn how to download e-books from the public library.

City of Tempe librarian Tracy Hokaj said the e-book “craze” has taken off.

“The Digital Bookmobile is a community outreach vehicle that lets the public know what services we have to offer,” Hokaj said.

With the exponential increase of e-book borrowing, the library expected to draw a larger crowd than previous Digital Bookmobile tours in 2009.

The vehicle will have an interactive learning station called the “Gadget Gallery” in which all e-book brands will be on display to help the public connect to the library through their portable devices, Hokaj said.

“The Digital Bookmobile has updated to high-tech information of digital downloading to provide a fun hands-on experience,” she said. “This is a great opportunity for the public to try out different e-books, utilize the resources and get a Tempe Public Library card.”

Tempe Connections, a Tempe Public Library learning program for older adults, partnered with the ASU Osher Lifelong Institute to teach a five-week class on new media, currently in its fourth week.

The class’s students, who are learning how to use new technology and media, attended the Digital Bookmobile event Thursday, said Rebecca Bond, program coordinator of Tempe connections.

“The New Media class has drawn in a large number of older aged patrons who are very interested in buying new media, but don’t know all the resources available to them,” Bond said. “The Digital Bookmobile event is a nice cross-pollination for people who want to learn more about e-book downloads from people who specialize in it.”

Checking out an e-book is much like checking out a book at the library, but instead of browsing the shelves, patrons browse online for their preferred digital book titles.

E-book downloads can be found on the Tempe Public Library website through the Greater Phoenix Digital Library database with a valid library card and PIN number.

There are never late fees or fines on damaged items when checking-out an e-book. After the lending period, the digital book will automatically expire from your device and return to the database, Library Manager at the Tempe Public Library Kim Garza said.

“The Tempe Public Library is taking a progressive new avenue for books and resources,” Bond said. “If you are wondering how to download e-books through the library, this is an excellent way to learn how.”

Reach the reporter at gqolson@asu.edu

×