Students keep driving despite rising gas prices

Consumers faced a large increase in gas prices the past week, which are expected to rise to $4 in the near future. (Photo by Jessie Wardarski)

Fuel prices in Arizona continue to increase — and ASU students are running on fumes.

A gallon of regular unleaded gasoline in Arizona increased an average of 18 cents this week, the largest week-to-week price jump in the state in 4 years, said AAA Arizona Public Affairs Coordinator Stephanie Dembowski .

“The gas prices will climb further into the spring,” Demobowski said.

A gallon of regular unleaded gas in Arizona is now $3.76, up 18 cents from last week and 38 cents from a year ago.

Tempe prices rose 25 cents from last week to $3.79, an increase of 46 cents from last year.

Students, like biology junior Jessica Moss, drove in and out of a Chevron gas station near the Tempe campus Wednesday night, where prices range from $3.89 to $4.19 a gallon.

Moss shares a van with her boyfriend and commutes 20 miles to and from the Tempe campus every day.

Moss said the rising price of gas has led her and her boyfriend to consider buying a home within walking distance of campus or near the light rail.

“We are college kids having to spend $120 a week,” Moss said.  “It’s ridiculous.”

Exercise and wellness junior Kory Negrich’s Mustang GT engine requires supreme gasoline, costing him $4.19 per gallon at the Chevron.

“In downtown Phoenix the other day, I paid $4.40, so this is pretty cheap,” Negrich said.

Negrich said he will spend $150 on gas this week because he commutes to downtown Phoenix, Glendale and his home in Scottsdale.

Scottsdale had the highest recorded prices in Arizona this week, reaching $3.85 per gallon of unleaded, which is 40 cents more expensive than last week and a 10 percent increase from last year.

“Unfortunately, when I got this car, gas prices were cheaper,” he said.

Journalism freshman Abbi Miles pays up to $60 to fill up her Lexus IS 250 in order to drive to her job in Tempe and classes in downtown Phoenix, but she occasionally takes the intercampus shuttle instead.

“I might have to take the shuttle more if the gas prices continue to increase,” Miles said

Social work junior and motorcyclist Sal Camacho said it only takes $10 to fill his Kawasaki Ninja.

“I wouldn’t say for everyone to start driving motorcycles,” Camacho said. “We need to find something better to suit us and the economy.”

Second year law student Matt Harrison drives a Saturn to commute 12 miles from his home to the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law on the Tempe campus.

“I have to get gas no matter what,” Harrison said.  “I don’t have another choice.”

Harrison said he started carpooling six months ago with a friend, also a law student.

“I haven’t looked at public transportation because it would take extra time and effort to commute,” Harrison said. “I’d rather pay for the gas than suffer the inconvenience.”

He said his car gets 33 miles to the gallon and he won’t have to fill up for three weeks.

The highest reported gas price was in Flagstaff in June 2008 at $4.25 a gallon.

Reach the reporter at thaniab@asu.edu

×