Turf Talk: Sailing Onward

Sparky adorns the team's sail. Photo courtesy of the sailing club.

The last regatta of the season was but a stepping stone for Arizona State University’s sailing club.

The Pacific Coast Collegiate Sailing Conference's South 5 Regatta on March 24 and 25 marked a weekend in which the team further developed as a whole. This will help for next season.

Yes, this season has ended, but Coach Jake Geller looks ahead. Geller has a young team; only one sailor will graduate this season. He said that in two or three years the team will mature. The team will compete up-top the leader board in that window period.

“We’re moving along,” Geller said. “Every time we learn what we need to work on.”

This time, the two-day, 10-race competition in Long Beach, Calif., proved to be the club’s happy ending. Geller said that placing mid-field—14 out of 25 boats—was satisfying for both him and his sailors, especially for a team primary compiled of freshmen and sophomores; the team entered two boats with nine total sailors. Both boats were led by underclassmen that plan on returning to the club.

The regatta was that final test of progress until next fall. Only then will the team resume from what Geller saw as a “realistic” finish to something greater.

Geller admits offseason work will depend on what the sailors take into their own hands. The team will get back on the practice grind next fall.

“In the Fall we’ll keep working,” Geller said. “It’s just a matter of practice makes perfect.”

Next season, the sailing club will open with the Frosh/Soph Regatta hosted by UC San Diego on October 6 and 7.

×