Turf Talk: Setting the Bar for Nationals

The men's gymnastics team high-fives each other. Photo courtesy of ASU Gymnastics.

A cherry on top -- that’s what would make Arizona State’s men’s gymnastics team all the more sweet. The club has a sweet tooth for a National Championship—their cherry—but first things first. They will meet Air Force at Wells Fargo Arena on Friday, March 9.

“It’s nothing we can’t handle,” said head coach Scott Barclay. “The good thing about gymnastics is that it’s you and the apparatus. You have to do a good job.”

Individualism inside the gymnasts’ routines will have to be good. Barclay said that there will be “a sub or two” out there in order to rest the battered and bruised; Barclay said 95 percent of the team will be ready to go.  Despite the potential setbacks, though, the team is just looking for a high overall score. Barclay still feels like they’re in good standing to get there.

“I don’t want to come off as cocky but I know my guys can get through it,” Barclay said. “We have a team where he (the substitute) is just as ready as the other one. It can definitely be done.”

Barclay is looking at this meet as a preparation for the National Championships in three weeks. Captain Alex Gaudaur, a senior kinesiology major, is looking at this meet to fine-tune his routines.

“I’ve been just trying to refine everything,” Gaudaur said. “It should be good. I’m really looking forward to having the team put up a good score.”

The team will be looking to put up a score higher than their 325 average, but this time it will be in front of thousands. The meet will be broadcasted on Fox Sports Arizona. Barclay said that the publicity will only act as a motivator, especially because the club rarely gets the chance to compete in Wells Fargo Arena. The team usually competes in Chandler at the Aspire Sports Center.

“There’s going to be a lot of electricity,” Barclay said.  “Being on our home turf doesn’t happen that often. It means a lot. Our fan base will know that it’s happening and will go. It’s something to look forward to.”

The men’s club will be competing with what Barclay says is their family, the women’s team. To compete on the same floor as the women gives ASU gymnastics that much more of a bonding experience. Gaudaur believes that’s just what both teams need; that’s what his team needs.

“I feel like we’re getting closer and we get behind each other,” Gaudaur said. “We’re more focused and they (the men’s team) help you get out of a tough spot.”

Jared Chin, a sophomore business, accounting and marketing major feels the same way. Chin can tell his team is “busting their butt in the gym.”

“Now the team is more focused and has become a pretty well-oiled machine,” Chin said. “Mentally we’re a lot more in the zone. I can tell everyone is a lot better and we work a lot better together as a team this year.”

This club is not looking ahead to National Championships, but instead focusing on the Air Force team, who are ranked No. 11; Arizona State is ranked No. 17. Barclay sees this meet as a stepping stone to the next.

Coincidentally, the Sun Devils will meet them again after Friday. The championship is at Air Force.

Barclay said that their strategy does not change and, like scaling the piano, their practices will be monotonous. This is because refining routines will make for a finer ending.

“They (the Air Force) have a good team this year,” Barclay said. “We definitely have our game faces on though. They (ASU gymnasts) will rise to the occasion.”

Have anything that’ll make people jump through hoops? Contact me at bcapria@asu.edu.

×