The Arizona Board of Regents unanimously approved a 0 percent tuition increase for in-state, undergraduate students through the 2012-13 tuition proposals for the university system Thursday, according to an ABOR news release.

ASU’s approved proposal also includes a 3 percent tuition increase for all graduate and out-of-state undergraduate students.

According to the release, 2012 marks the first year since 1992 that undergraduate and in-state students will see no tuition increases. In 1992, the cost of ASU tuition was  $1,590 — 511 percent lower than the current cost.

In-state graduate students will now pay $10,512 and out-of-state graduate students will pay $25,060 for the academic year.

ASU President Michael Crow submitted a tuition proposal to ABOR on Feb. 24 that requested a 0 percent increase for in-state undergraduates and minimal increases for other students.

Tuition for incoming freshmen in-state students increased 18 percent from 2010 to 2011 and 70 percent from 2008 to 2011.

ABOR Vice Chair LuAnn Leonard said in a statement that the Board is committed to ensuring access to higher education in Arizona.

“Balancing strategies to maintain tuition affordability and high quality educational delivery is essential to making that happen and Arizona’s University system is on the right track,” Leonard said.

Reach the reporter at kmmandev@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on FacebookClick here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×