Broke's the New Black: Military-Inspired Fashion

Military influences can be seen year-round. Photo from etsy.com.

Foxtrot-Alpha-Sierra-Hotel-India-Oscar-November. F-A-S-H-I-O-N. That’s military fashion to you. With neverending wars and a life often impacted by military actions, it is no surprise that this has made a heavy influence in the fashion industry. With multiple popular trends, military-inspired pieces find their way into many styles each year. This blog is channeling my interest in the latest Nicholas Sparks movie The Lucky One featuring none other than Zac Efron. If that doesn’t excite you girls, I don’t know what will.

Here are some military-inspired fashion pieces that all of us are accustomed to. Try busting these out of your closet inventory to add a little edge or badass vibe to your outfit.

Aviator Sunglasses

As if all of us don’t own a pair of these. “Aviator sunglasses, or "pilot's glasses," were originally developed in 1936 by Ray-Ban for pilots to protect their eyes while flying. Aviators were given their name due to their original intention of protecting aviator's eyes. Ray-Ban began selling the glasses to the public a year after they were developed,” says an article about Ray-Ban. Aviator sunglasses have been around forever and continue to make their way onto people’s faces year after year. As a style that flatters most faces, these lenses are a staple for any summer wardrobe.

Military Accents

Making their way onto jackets, pants, hats, purses and accessories, military accents are reoccurring everywhere. Gold studs or pins come from jackets worn by military officials. The common “camo print” is another obvious military inspiration in to the fashion world.

Cargo Pants

“Cargo” themed bottoms have happened to shorts, pants and capris. With multitudes of pockets, these versatile pants are comfortable and convenient. They are usually made of lightweight materials and are ideal for summer days or camping trips.

The Lucky One is coming into theaters April 20. Visit theluckyonemovie.warnerbros.com for more information.

For comments or questions, email me at amlarso2@asu.edu or follow me @soamandawaslike. 

×