Live and Otherwise: Finding FilmBar

The inside of FilmBar. Photo from their website.

Being surprised is one of those rare emotions I don’t often succumb to. Often, I see it coming. Whether that be a great performance or a lackluster romantic conquest, there are usually signs along the way that pummel me with their clues. So to my utter delight, I love when great bars and establishments turn out to be a terrific venue for discovering new music. Take Phoenix’s FilmBar. The ecelctic movie theater-slash-bar showcases terrific and unique films every night of the week (save for Mondays -- They’re closed). Its stylish layout is complete with interesting artwork displayed on its walls to capture attention and intrigue. While independent films and documentaries are the focus, I was pleasantly surprised that great music is also a focal point for the local bar.

Local and guest DJs create a unique vibe for the musical atmosphere of the establishment. The best part is that every genre of music could harness the next song on the track list. Take Wednesdays: The hump features resident DJs Kris The Fist and Fact135 who kill it every week playing a great variety of music. From hip-hop to electro, the DJs have it covered and mixed to add to the ambiance of FilmBar that makes it so special. In addition every week there is a new special guest DJ to help them out, to add some new perspective to the DJ set. Then you have the awesome world music blend of Djentrification that gets to lend itself on occasion. But DJs aren’t the only ones bringing their musical skill set to the place. Even later this week the alternative-pop sounds of KNESSET are slated to be one of the live bands playing in the lounge (along with Wizards of Time.) Throw in an album release party for the Former Friends Of Young Americans on April 14, and the message is clear: local music seems to be just as large a priority as films for FilmBar.

FilmBar is a great example of a multimedia-fueled animal. Finding a lounge as multifaceted as it definitely makes it one of must-see spots in downtown Phoenix (and a more-than-decent venue for live and local music). So be a local supporting another local establishment. And this time there won’t be a surprise in the intriguing results.

FilmBar is located at 815 N. 2nd Street, Phoenix.

×