Pitching, depth key to softball’s success

Hillary Bach throws a pitch in a game against UA on March 11. Bach and the Sun Devils are one of the deepest teams in the Pac-12. (Photo by Sam Rosenbaum)

The No. 4 ASU softball team did not have any games last weekend, but the team is still practicing and scrimmaging in preparation for No. 15 Stanford.

Every game is crucial for the Sun Devils (36-5, 8-2 Pac-12), who had a tough time disposing of the Oregon schools on the road, as the team split both series.

“I don’t know what it is about the Oregon schools,” ASU senior outfielder Annie Lockwood said. “The rain must throw us off. I don’t know. We need to figure that out … Against Oregon, that first game, we didn’t come out. We weren’t really there mentally, and I think that is exactly what happened in the Oregon State game.”

No. 1 California looked to be drifting steadily away from  ASU. A perfect conference record through eight games vaulted the Golden Bears to two games ahead of the Sun Devils.

“We want to keep it close,” Lockwood said. “We need to go out every game with the mentality that we need to win if we want to win the Pac-12, which is (our goal every year). We shouldn’t rely on Cal losing. We can’t think that way.”

However, Cal faltered this weekend as No. 13 UA shocked the Golden Bears with an 8–3 victory in Berkeley, Calif.

Depth a key factor

This season, coach Clint Myers has used 23 players to achieve the team’s success.

This depth has played a crucial role for the team, providing the coach with near limitless possibilities to contemplate when writing each lineup card.

“We have had some kids come either late in the game or for defense that have really made a difference,” Myers said. “It’s something that we are constantly looking at. What is going to give us our best opportunity to win?”

Senior catcher Nikole Afusia is a common sight as a pinch hitter, and has fulfilled that role in 22 games this year. Afusia has done well with her opportunities and is batting .333.

Junior pinch runner Kayla Ketchum often runs for freshman Amber Freeman. Ketchum has scored 11 runs this season and is a perfect 4-4 when attempting to steal bases.

Pitching leads the way

Solid pitching is synonymous with ASU softball, but the pitching performances by sophomore Dallas Escobedo (14-4, 2.41 ERA) and senior Hillary Bach (17-0, 1.21 ERA) have been inspiring — to say the least.

“They are both having exceptional years,” Myers said. “It’s a great predicament to be in. You can only pitch one … But it doesn’t matter who is in the circle. You end up having two very quality people.”

Except for Cal, the small drop off between the first and second starters is one no other team in the conference can claim.

Bach is having her most dominant year and has taken some people by surprise with her ability to close out hitters efficiently.

“This is the year that we anticipated she could have when we recruited her five years ago,” Myers said.

Reach the reporter at jjmckelv@asu.edu

×