Residents, Gracie’s work toward rezoning compromise

(Image courtesy Jeff Brosman)
(Image courtesy Jeff Brosman)

The Tempe City Council will refine plans Tuesday to construct a new, mixed-use building on Apache Boulevard and McClintock Drive that will combine Gracie’s Thrift Store with affordable housing. Lawmakers will vote to either scrap or finalize the project in May.

The controversial project was first proposed by Gracie’s Ministries in March 2011 and was met with immediate resistance from residents who feared crime and traffic would increase in the area.

Following a year of negotiations, a tentative compromise altered the original plan for a 5-story building, which would have housed 75 units for low-income families, into a 4-story, 50-unit plan, Director of Gracie’s Ministries Jeff Brosman said.

Brosman said details between residents and the project’s developer, Wisconsin-based Gorman & Company, are still being resolved.

He said the project would benefit many Tempe residents.

“This provides something that’s very needed in Tempe, and that is affordable housing,” Brosman said.

The project will also create construction jobs, along with permanent positions, when the building opens.

Brosman said the apartment units would offer many free services to residents, such as a computer lab, before and after school programs, more security and neighborhood beautification.

“We want to provide low-cost items and help the people in their daily lives, whether it’s spiritually, physically or socially,” he said. “It’s going to be the best-looking thing in the north or south part of the neighborhood.”

Tempe City Councilwoman Onnie Shekerjian said she is unsure how she will vote on the measure.

She said she wants the developer to be engaged with the neighborhood, which Gorman & Company has done.

“I don’t know what the project will look like in its final stage, but I’m certainly in favor of affordable housing,” Shekerjian said. “I love the fact that the development company has continued to work with the neighbors.”

She said the back-and-forth between Gracie’s and Tempe residents has been passionate.

“These residents are very savvy about the process,” Shekerjian said.

Brian Swanton, a developer from Gorman & Company, said individuals and groups such as the Tempe Apache Boulevard Association, a group of business owners in the area, and the Tempe Elementary School District have supported the project.

He said he believes the city council will vote in favor of the development.

“I’m not sure why someone wouldn’t support it at this point,” he said.

Reach the reporter at kmmandev@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×