Women’s golf seeks strong finish to impressive season

Giulia Molinaro stares down a shot in the PING/ASU Invitational. Molinaro will lead the Sun Devils as the women’s golf team heads to Pullman, Wash., for the Pac-12 championships. (Photo courtesy of Jim Bochenek)

Despite the fact that the ASU women’s golf team has yet to win an invitational this season, the team believes it has had a productive and successful season.

“I’m pretty happy with how they’ve progressed,” coach Melissa Luellen said. “They’re just getting more and more confident and believing in themselves. I’m very proud of this group and it’s really fun to watch them grow up.”

The No. 3 Sun Devils have five top-three finishes, including three second-place finishes in eight invitationals.

The development and consistency from senior Giulia Molinaro has propelled ASU to its high ranking.

Molinaro, now the No. 2-rated player in the country, averages 72 strokes per round, showcasing drastic improvement from her first three seasons in the program.

In addition to Molinaro’s strong play, ASU has also received efficient production from the rest of its starting lineup. All five ASU starters are currently ranked in the Golfweek top 100.

Behind Molinaro, sophomore Justine Lee averages 73.7 strokes per round, garnering a top 50 player ranking.

The other three players on the starting lineup card average nearly identical rounds. For the season, freshman Noemi Jimenez, and sophomores Daniela Ordonez and Laura Blanco all average between 74.7 and 75 strokes per round.

ASU has lost to top-ranked UCLA in six out of the eight invitationals, with the other two defeats coming at the hands of USC and Oklahoma State.

However, ASU out-shot the Bruins in rounds one and three of the PING/ASU Invitational and believes the gap between them and UCLA is closing, despite the six head-to-head defeats.

“The girls realize they were the low scores day one and day three at our tournament,” Luellen said. “I think they’re starting to believe that. I just pointed out a couple things different between us and them and it’s not that much.

“Can we hit a few more wedge shots closer? A couple more putts? That’s what it really comes out to be, so it’s not as monumental as they thought it used to be. They’re starting to feel like maybe they can beat them.”

The Pac-12 championships take place April 27 through 29 in Pullman, Wash., where the State Farm Territorial Cup Series point will be decided. Chilly weather and fast winds could become a major obstacle.

“In golf, we didn’t pick an indoor sport so (weather) is always a factor,” Luellen said. “We know it’s going to rain, and we know it’s going to cold. If we get a nice day, then that’s a bonus.”

Most of the year, ASU’s goal has been to finish in the top three of an invitational.  After improving its ranking in the Pac-12, the team’s focus has intensified.

“Now that we did jump ahead of USC in the rankings, we look at which teams are ranked ahead of us,” Luellen said. “The only team that’s ranked ahead of us for the conference championship is UCLA. So our goal will be to finish in the top two.”

Reach the reporter at jmjanss1@asu.edu

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook. Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press email newsletter.

×